Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about private cloud controller

damien gagnaire
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm on a graduation internship in a company that would like to implement a new wifi solution.

At the moment we are working with Aruba virtual WLC with 50 AP. We are aiming for a hundred access points and certainly more to come. And so i'am looking for an equivalent.

I saw some 9800 CL on the cisco website but i think they are oversized for my usage. 

Is there a private cloud solution from cisco in my range ?

thank you in advance.

Damien Gagnaire

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

- Looks like it : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-wirel-cont-data-sheet-ctp-en.html#Licensing

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

Correct. Licenses are for APs only, controller is just a facilitator to contact your Cisco smart licensing portal and check if you have license for AP. 

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use Virtual WLC instead of appliance. (there are some minor  limitation virtual vs Physical).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

damien gagnaire
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @balaji.bandi,

That what i'am looking for but on the cisco website i only found one that is EOL and the 9800 CL (but it is sized for 1000AP). Did i miss something ?

CL can deployed as VM, other option i can look many other ways.

AP act as EWC

or if you have Cat 9300 switch, that ACT as Controller too.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

ammahend
VIP
VIP

9800 CL is a good option supported anywhere from 1000-6000APs depending on what resource you allocate to the VM.

other wise you can use an AP as controller (with Embedded Wireless Controller feature on AP) which will support 100 APs.

-hope this helps-

@ammahend Thank for your answer,

Can you tell me if I understand the licensing system correctly ?

I do not need a license to boot up a 9800 CL at all. But i need one cisco dna license for each AP.

- Looks like it : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/nb-06-cat9800-wirel-cont-data-sheet-ctp-en.html#Licensing

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Correct. Licenses are for APs only, controller is just a facilitator to contact your Cisco smart licensing portal and check if you have license for AP. 

-hope this helps-
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card