Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"Enable Office Extend AP" checkbox

What is the configuration occur to a H-REAP AP once we tick "enable office extend ap" tick box under H-REAP tab ? Does this only give the capability of adding personal SSID or something more ?

Rasika

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe when you enable this, the WLC prompts you to also enable data encryption to make it like a true OEAP. It doesn't give you the ability to add a personal SSID since that is only available with the OEAP 600. Data encryption since it is enabled on all OEAP's and not indoor AP's like the 1142, 3500's for example will act like h-reap/FlexConnect. The only thing that changes is the data encryption will be either enabled or disabled depending on what you set it to. I think it also changes the way the AP will look for the WLC. But what I have seen, the AP will look for the management IP of the WLC then the NAT IP.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply.  When you enable this on normal h-reap AP , then you can go to GUI of that AP IP & create your own personal SSID. I have tested it & works.

When I connect H-REAP behind a DSL connection it will join to WLC over internet, SSID visible (like H-REAP connected scenario), but client cannot get DHCP IP & join the WLAN. If I tick this box I know client can join. Trying to understand what's going on behind the scene.

Regards

Rasika

Well from my experience testing this back then, I never used a non OEAP with a personal SSID. I think in the initial code, it wasn't supported. Anyways, I'm able to join any AP to the WLC with this ticked or not. The AP can be in local or FlexConnect with no issues and clients can connect just fine. We have this setup in out lab and only a few of us have the OEAP 600, the rest are using 1130, 1142, 3500's to connect back to our lab. Now, I don't have to enable officeextend on these to get it to work. It seems like this allows you to use a personal SSID, which we are not doing, and this must mean that this must be ticked in order to pass traffic back using the personal SSID. Again, we have no issues with clients associating and getting an IP address with this disabled on the AP.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

My set up is like this, NAT involve at DSL modem for AP.

SW with SVI & DHCP Pool <-> 4402 in 7.0.116 with public IP <-> (Public Internet) <-> DSL modem <-> 1131 H-REAP with private IP

Does your lab set up is similar to this ? Do you think 1131 in Local/H-REAP mode should work in this scenario?

Regards

Rasika

Not sure this is due to my setup, I would expect home user would get an IP from vlan 140 (192.168.140.x/24) from 3750-1 switch. For simplicity I have configured Open Authentication. 1131 is in H-REAP mode without vlan mapping/local switching.

Attached "debug client mac" output for reference as well.

Please advice what to look at next

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well I have tested this in our lab which is 5508's and running various code versions but now running beta. I also had this setup at home with a 2504 and had engineers connect to my home lab with 1130's and 1142's in local mode and h-reap:). This way just to test, but it worked even if they lived like across the country:)

I will try to test it again tomorrow or the weekend.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Yes, I checked this in my production 5508 by connecting a H-REAP from my home it worked. In my lab setup at home I only have 4402 & not sure it behave differently.

In my case  had to use 3725 for NAT for internal users while WLC connect to 3750 for layer 2 (not sure that make some complication for the traffic flow)

One thing I noticed is as long as H-REAP is having publicly routable IP (not NAT), this set up works fine.

If you could test & let me know that would be great

Regards

Rasika

In our lab, we have a pair of ASA's and at home I have a 1941w doing NAT and a 3750x just layer 2 where my 2504 connects. My 1941w does the NAT so I will test and let you know.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card