Views
Helpful
Replies

Radar hit on RAP / MAP Access Points

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

This is my first engagement in Outdoor Wireless Design / Troubleshooting.

We have a Client who is having issues in Outdoor Wireless . They are located near the Airport / Establishments so they are getting continuous radar hits on their outdoor access points.

For me to understand this and correct me if i am wrong.

1) Whenever there is a radar hit on lets say Root Access Point , it will go down for 60 seconds and any mesh access point associated with this root ap will also go down for 60 second??

2) What if we can backhaul RAP and MAP on 2.4Ghz ? and keep 5hz for Client Serving? what is a best practice here. Shall we backhaul RAP & MAP as well as client connectivity traffic on 5Ghz? and what will happen in this if there  is a radar hit.

3) To overcome this RAP / MAP Challenge , can we suggest to have all ap's in local mode (Although it will be additional cost of laying cables etc) but this will minimize the impact of radar hits on fewer access points rather than all RAP and MAPs are shutting down for 60 secs. in that case only access point which will get the radar hit will have a period of 60 sec when its off-network .

4) what are the best recommendations in these kind of scenarios.

Looking forward here your suggestion.

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/91565-radar-survey-wmn.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

That document is very old! (Updated:April 23, 2008) so while the principle remains the same most of what it refers to no longer exists!

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

For Mesh I always pull the DFS channels from being able to be used for the backhall if possible. That will prevent radar events affecting it

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

For this Region , The Outdoor allowed channels are 100,104,108,112,116,132,136,140,149,153,157,161 that means i can use 149 onward till 161 for outdoor mesh? they have around 60 Root access points and some 110 (if i recall correctly) as Mesh AP. so what could be the best option in this case. Also can you please comment inline on my above 3 questions for better clarification.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card