Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

reconfiguring AP1832I-E-K9C

Hi there,

We have approx 15/20 AP AP1832I-E-K9C, I understand running mobility express and using one of the AP as AP controller.

We are changing many components in the network and to make a fresh start we would like to
reset all of them.

1) Can we do it only from the AP itself with the reset button, or can they be reseted all of them via the AP controller?
2) how do I identify the one that is acting as the AP controller?
3) I have one extra AP to add that is AP1832I-E-K9, not AP1832I-E-K9C (so without mobility express). How do I go step by step to install/flash it with Mobility express?
4) configuring the different wifi networks is it better to do it via the AP controller?
5) finally do you have some checklists that could help organizing and doing all the work-list needed to go through all the change?

Thank you for any tip/feedback!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

When you convert AP to ME, that act as AP also, and also allow AP to join to ME (that act as controller)

I would suggest spending time reading the information posted.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Yes that's correct.  You are spot on now

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at the ME architecture :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bWzSPTGA8

check the mobility express deployment guide : (1 or 2 AP act as WLC) - rest of the AP joint to WLC

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-2/b_Mobility_Express_Deployment_guide.html

BB

Thank you for the details. Is there a way on a current setup to determine easily which AP is the controller one? Does the controller one performs normally as an AP or loses its AP functionality and only does the controller side of things?

See the screenshot:

SandeepChoudhary_2-1673507413403.png

SandeepChoudhary_3-1673507424219.png

You can see here which AP are in capwap or which AP are ME capable. Controller AP also works as a normal AP, i.e. both functions at the same time.

Regards

Hi @Sandeep Choudhary and @balaji.bandi thank you for all the advices.

I was going through all the documentation shared here, there is point I didn't know, but to have confirmation:

to run the the 15 AP I only need to have 2 AP with ME installed but all the other one can be on CAPWAP? so if I already have 2 AP on ME I can easily add one AP1832I-E-K9 (without the C for the ME) without having to convert it to ME?

Thank you again guys!

Yes that's correct.  You are spot on now

Regards

Hi thanks, have access to the controller, but could not get to this page. Where is this placed in the GUI interface?

When you convert AP to ME, that act as AP also, and also allow AP to join to ME (that act as controller)

I would suggest spending time reading the information posted.

BB

thank you guys. any other thing to look at or beware of in the process?

is there any going trough checkist you recommend on a project like this?

also for the EOL looks like that for security updates etc is up to 2026, correct? so should be fine for a couple of years till whole upgrade is done?

Hi,

You must set One AP as primary controller, 2nd one as next-preferred-master or backup controller and rest all should be in CAPWAP mode.

here is a post about this setup:

https://www.wiresandwi.fi/blog/cisco-mobility-express-ha-controller-configuration

If there is no bug(security issues) then it would be fine for next 3-4 years.

Regards

sorry, where/how do you see which one is the 2nd controller? thanks

Look at EOL statement what Cisco says, also look out any bugs the version you using and aware and any caveats which hits your environement.

Major part is deploy and test it and monitor.

BB

Hi there,

Thanks so far for your helpful support.

If using this AP on a non Cisco Switch (using them with Mobility Express and therefore 2 of them being AP controller), are they gonna still work fine with must of the functionalities, or some of the functionalities will be lost? For example use/setup of the Vlans? Thank you!

They should work as expected.

BB

any change of configuration needed or if essentially everything is kept the same, it should be pretty much almost plug and play? thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card