Views
Helpful
Replies

Rehost License of WLC but with Different Models

mina_raouf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have WLC 2504 with 50 APs and I will  buy a new WLC 3504, so is it possible to transfer the current license of 2504 to the new Controller or shall I buy new License for the APs to join

Also, Can I use the Evaluation License on the new Controller so the APs can join the controller till I transfer the license to the new one or not? because am targeting to have no downtime 

7 Replies 7

Hi,

About rehost, I believe is possible but you better open a case on Cisco licensing TAC, they can confirm this information. After all, you need them to rehost anyway.

About the evaluation license, you can use it for 12 weeks and yes they will work just like any license. During those 12 weeks, you can join your APs and use it normally.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They will not re host the license unless your Cisco rep helps get that done, but not likely.  The 2504 is a license you purchase that only works for re-host on the 2504 and 5508 for example.  The 3504 has a RTU license and requires being purchased when ordering the 3504.  It doesn't hurt to try to see if they will, but you will need a valid support contract on the 2504.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Anyone who already made this - transfer/rehost licenses from 2504 to 3504 with an active support?

Licensing re-hosting supported withing same product families (2504/5508 or 3504/5520/8540). Therefore it is not supported moving licensing from 2504 to 3504.

As Scott said, 3504/5520/8540 use RTU licensing model, which mean there is no license files to install on these devices. You can simply activate it accepting EULA.

From support point of view, if you need to get active support on those APs in new controller, you have to buy those license with support. Your local account management team can help you, if they agree to do something like that when you buy your 3504. Otherwise you have to pay for it again.

RTU activation commands as shown below.

RTU-LIC.JPG

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/managing_licenses.pdf

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hello,

How about AP license transfer from WLC5520 to WLC3504? is this possible using Smart Licensing?

I can't find reference to confirm this.. Any feedback on this ??

Yes, both model support smart licensing. So you can use same licenses in both controllers.

Note that you do not install any individual licenses with smart licensing on those devices. When AP register to WLC, it will check in smart licensing portal any free license to available.

Below will show products that support smart licensing 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/licensing-enterprise-agreements/smart-license-enabled-product-families/ta-p/3652497

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses *** 

Cisco would not rehost these, but our Cisco folks have cut us a deal, but that is because we spent a lot of money on equipment.  If I was to call TAC to rehost my 2504 to a new 3504 controller, they wouldn't do it.  I would call my rep anyways to provide me with license.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: