cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing Wireless network from single point access points in a cluster to Cisco AIR-AP1832I

ashtonpotterltd
Level 1
Level 1

I need to replace my wireless network and I am replacing wireless network comprised of single point access points in a cluster with Cisco AIR-AP1832I network. Can I setup the new network with the existing one still functional if I create a new Network name and SSID?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends.
Do you have a WLC?

It doesn't appear so. The system I am replacing are Cisco WAP321-A-K9 as one of them has failed and they are end of life and end of support. These were installed before I joined the company so I'm not 100% sure how they were configured from looking at them it looks like I need to connect to each one and the documentation is non existent and there is no external WLC.

Okay ... we need to take a few steps back.
Has anyone done a wireless site survey properly? The WAP321 signal propagation is very, very different to an 1832 and doing a rip-n-replace is not the recommended way to go.
Next, the 1832 requires a WLC. Depending on the amount of APs and amount of wireless clients, the AP can be loaded with Mobility Express firmware which turns the AP into a hybrid AP+WLC in one.
Finally, SmartNet (aka SNT). I strongly recommend to get the SNT that allows TAC & software download support. Don't bother about getting the hardware replacement in (waste of money) because the AP already comes default with a Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty (read the Data Sheet for more details).
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card