Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming from AP to AP on same SSID

JDMJeffy84
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have an issue where I have an AP in one room and another in another.

When I walk from one room to the other, I lose signal but manages to see the SSID and join.

But, I cannot seem to surf the Internet, I have to manually disconnect and reconnect.

Any suggestions? Normal wireless routers I reconnect seamlessly without any manual disconnect & reconnect.

Currently using cisco 5508 and ap2600

Thanks

8 Replies 8

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you share what clients are doing this? Are all of them ? Is there anything fancy about your config ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

general browsing George, yes it happens to all clients.

Config is very basic, I'm just wondering if there's a setting I missed out

Log into the WLC cli and do a client debug and reproduce the problem. Then post the results ..

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Hi George sorry for late reply, I don't have the results with me but I ran a few tests with debug but nothing stood out of the ordinary.

What I found strange is that if I use a laptop and leave a continous ping and walk from one AP to another AP I can see latency jumps and a few timeouts but ping still go through. But I am unable to access the Internet unless I disconnect and reconnect.

Authentication on L2 and L3 is set to None so it shouldn't be that.

Can you post the debugs ?

Sorry still no debugs, but it looks like it is not Roaming issue.I can conduct continous ping to 8.8.8.8 -t from AP to another AP

But if I ping a website for example www.facebook.com

works fine roaming

But if you access the URL via domain name or IP it fails.

Checked the ASA firewall I get SYN Timeout and deny TCP...

If I disconnect SSID and reconnect... traffic goes through... something wierd is going on

What firmware are you running?

What radio are you seeing this happening?  802.11 b/g or both?

What is the signal strength indicator from the PC?

How updated is the driver of your wireless NIC?

I will post when I conduct more tests.
leelaohoo, running latest 7.4.100

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card