cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RX-signal configuration

ioannidisj
Level 1
Level 1

I heard that it would be possible to configure WiFi-network in such a way it allows only devices of which the AP’s get a RX-signal that is above –xx dBm.

This would prevent access from devices ‘far away’ eg: devices at BT office or Golden Tulip hotel, both being next door to us and receiving our signal. Our config is CTRL 4400 with 3500 AP's and 1242 - Is it possible to do this with our config ??

thank you

jean

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.  You can manually lower the signal strength of each AP but that is alot of work because someone has to make sure that you get your values right.  Another issue is coverage-hole-detection.  This means that if one of your APs fails, then the other APs can't increase their power to cover the black hole.

One easy way is to completely disable 802.11b radio and force everyone to use 802.11a/n.

dhurshowy
Level 1
Level 1

You can also try disabling the 1 or 2 lowest data rates for each protocal. i.e. disable 1Mbps and 2Mbps for 802.11b and, 6 and 9Mbps for 802.11g.

Nicholas Darrow
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Data rates are your best option. Disable the lower data rates and set the lowest mandatory rate to something high like 11mbps(would require good density). Usually disabling 1&2&5.5 is usually safe as long as you walk around afterwards and validate good coverage. By setting a higher mandatory data rate, it will force the client to have to talk at a higher rate in order to connect. In very urban areas I usually recommend my customers to disable everything unde 24mbps. This is very aggressive and proper ap densities should be planned for.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card