cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

School wifi setup

flo5
Level 1
Level 1

I look after meraki wifi for a school and currently have APs in most adjoining classroom but still running into issues when multiple devices (around 30 per room) connect at the same time.  Any suggestions?  We have had issues in the past with APs close to each other so wondered if we would benefit from setting every other one as repeater?

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...but still running into issues

- Suggestions will depend on description of these issues as experienced.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

flo5
Level 1
Level 1

Issues when multiple Chromebooks try to connect at the same time.  This is sometimes a few classrooms (with own AP) in close proximity with 30 students in each.   Often takes 10 minutes before all devices are connected.  My understanding is that an AP (M32) should be able to handle up to 30 devices with no problem.  

- If your are validating your wifi infrastructure then you need to determine if this is specific for chromebooks or not (are other devices in the classrooms experiencing the same problem ?)  , you may post here too  :

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/bd-p/wireless-lan

Below are some sample references :

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-chromebook-that-wont-connect-to-wifi-4802488

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/HP-G4-Chromebooks-dropping-connection-on-MR46/td-p/97628

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

its all depends on the users - tried up to 30 on meraki works as expected,

as i read thread you using Meraki AP (please confirm)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

flo5
Level 1
Level 1

We have had similar reports with multiple iPads connecting at same time too.  The APs are Meraki MR32

@flo5 wrote:

We have had similar reports with

Rule #1 in WiFi Troubleshooting:  TEST & VERIFY complaints.  Make sure someone goes and make sure the stories line up.  We are all but humans and "exaggeration" is a vicious tool to get attention.

Do you have any mornitoring system monitor connected ports ? what is the utilisation ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What exactly does the user see happening?

Are you using WPA2-Enterprise mode?  If so, is the RADIUS server able to authenticate users at the rate they are connecting?  Perhaps it is maxing out.

What does Meraki Wireless Health say?

Anything interesting in the Meraki WiFi event log?

flo5
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the responses, on further investigation we now think issue is related to max bandwidth being reached stopping the devices from being able to sign in rather than issue with Meraki.  

Max bandwidth of what? The AP should probably easily handle 30 clients just being connected without transferring data. 

I'm not sure with Meraki, but check if you can somewhere see the channel load/utilization of an affected AP, for 2.4 and also 5 GHz. You need to check this while the problem is happening. If it closes in to >70% you're typically in trouble. That would then need some channel/signal strength planning, or in other words a site survey. 

alexschl
Level 1
Level 1

I am also searching for my jaipur school wifi setup, If you found any helpful guide please let me know. Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card