cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Self healing to plug hole in wireless network

sambobbi
Level 1
Level 1

I read about this feature in my ccna days called SELF HEALING OF WIRELESS NETWORK. Idea of this feature/ technology is that when a wireless access point disassociated from WLC. Then a neighbour WAP boosts it's TX power to plug the hole created by the WAP that disassociated. Apparently it's done via WLC . Does anyone heard about this or they have implemented this feature. Please advise I'm looking to propose this solution. 

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...Then a neighbour WAP boosts it's TX power to plug the hole created by the WAP that disassociated
 That feature is not present in a controller as such.  Remember that when the wireless infrastructure is being used after a site survey the idea is to have best coverage with the cells (surface domains)  created by the access points. Now if an AP is down raising TX powers for others may lead to coverage holes too because you must also take into account that the 'lost area' must be able to be 'gapped' by a client (being also strong enough). If that can not be achieved then the poor client is left in the dark too.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Coverage Hole Detection and Mitigation algorithm is something WLC does in real time.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most vendors have implemented something to the fact of "Self Healing".  You need to understand that ap location, mounting and density plays a role in their algorithm.  If ap deployments are too sparse, how does an adjacent ap cover that area if already at max tc power?  This is why a site survey is always recommended so that folks understand their coverage.  Of course, the more dense the environment, the more access points which increases cost.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sambobbi wrote:
Does anyone heard about this or they have implemented this feature.

If the AP placement are done correctly, yes.  It works and works pretty well. 

Every time anyone asks the question, "how far can this AP throw WiFi signal", we always respond with "get a WiFi survey done".  

In my line of work, I always offer three "levels" of WiFi design/AP placement.  They are:  Voice-grade, RTLS-grade and "cheap".  Only the first two can survive if one or two APs fail.  The 3rd option does not support "self-healing" and I let the clients know this.  

haha.... don't ever tell your boss that you implemented a self healing network. The first time the wireless goes down, you're sitting in his/her office explaining, "what did you mean by self healing".

-Scott

Never intend to.  I just tell the client to pick two of the three options.  IF they ask about the 3rd, I till them the ugly truth that if an AP fails, WiFi FB, TikT*k, Insta goes down the drink. 

I hear ya @Leo Laohoo 

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card