Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing AP controller (mobility express) after moving APs to new SW

Hi there,

I have moved all the APs to new SW while we get the Cisco Switch fixed. All the AP are working fine, kept their IPs and internet working across. I just cannot access the AP controller anymore under the previous IP address at least.

Any tip on how to do that ?

The AP all have their own static IP (xx100.7 / xx100.8 etc) and the controller IP (was xx100.6) to access the interface is different (as it should be as I understand). But no way to get to it when reusing same IP.

Thanks all so much for any suggestions...

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try to make sure you can ping all the ip's first then try to access the GUI from a wired devices on a different subnet and see if that works.  Other than that, the only other thing I can think of is to access the controller ap from the console and try to set the prefered master.

Take a look at some blogs on Mobility Express also as they have some good info while testing.
https://www.wiresandwi.fi/blog/cisco-mobility-express-ha-controller-configuration

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@pdenableetoavit19698 Make sure that the switch is also configured properly with the vlans.  Have you tried to open a TAC case just to see what they say?  I mean, you verified that all the ap's are up and running, but you don't have access to the GUI?  So are you saying that ssh works and you can run a show ap summary and other commands?  

-Scott

Following your feedback...

All AP are up and running, and from the temporary SW (SW they have been moved on temporarily) I can see they all kept their own IP.

The WIFI network via those AP is backup and working with full connectivity.

I cannot access the AP controller IP

Trying as you advised to ping all the AP... well I cannot ping any of them...

I would check the switch configuration and make sure the vlan is seen by spanning tree. Not being able to ping the ip address is the first thing you need to troubleshoot.  At least everything is working, but is very concerning especially if its in production.  Make sure that the ap's didn't pull a dhcp address also.

-Scott

Thanks @Scott Fella for inputs!

As far as you know, is the Preferred Master/Primary settings lost when AP unplugged (poe) and replugged over another switch?

Thanks!

Agreed, thanks.

The spare switch we are using its an ubiquiti so not helping making it straightforward, but not many options atm. The AP are on the "ALL/default" vlan which I understand on ubiquiti to be the Native. If I move them on the

and spanning tree set on RSTP (other options STP and disabled)

using a scanning app all the connected devices have the same subnet of the gateway xxx.50.1

Almost seems like maybe the Ubiquity is still tagging the management traffic, don't really know.  I bet once you replace the switch with another Cisco switch, you will be able to access the GUI again.  You would have to dig in deeper to really find out if the ALL/default is tagging or not, but I bet that is the culprit.

-Scott

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As far as you know, is the Preferred Master/Primary settings lost when AP unplugged (poe) and replugged over another switch?
No, the APs should retain their settings but keep in mind the other discovery methods.  AP's will try all of them.  And if they still don't find a controller when using a static IP then they will switch to using DHCP as a last resort in case they got stranded with an incorrect static IP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card