cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site Survey

r.starke
Level 1
Level 1

I have designed a network solution for a company that has a need for a WLAN. Now that I have completed my work, they want me to install it. I have told them that a site survey will need to be done and they agree. They want me to do the site survey and have ask me for a tool list.

I have:

One Aironet 350 Bridge

Two 350 PC cards

Four rubber ducky antennas

One 9db Omni antenna

Two 12db yagi

Several feet of cable

What else would I need?

PS The WLAN is for a remote monitoring system that will be deployed into many locations.

3 Replies 3

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

A true Site Survey is specific to the SITE.

Anything that is not done on site is a best estimate. The more site surveys you have done, the better the estimate.

If you are going to Survey a *sample* Site, you should go through Cisco's on-line video course. For your first time, start with blueprints and consider places where you CANNOT place an AP. That may help you nail down your first location.

To be thorough, walk through every room using the same config as the client - same AP, same card, same antennas mounted as closely as possible to their actual config with the same amount of cable.

To keep it simple, use the Site Survey utility in ACU -but run it in active mode or you may miss weak areas. Keep the signal 40% or higher.

If you want pricing for a professional Site Survey crew and complete documentation, let me know. We've surveyed millions of square feet.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

Matthew,

The site that I need to survey is a bridge. I will be putting four of the 350 PC Cards on top of the bridge, one 350 PC Card just off the bridge. These five PC Cards will connect to a 350 Bridge located within 1 mile of the bridge. If you go to Mezure.com, you can get an idea of what I am doing. I do want pricing info for a professional Site Survey. Please send me you contact info so that we can talk about this.

Thanks

Rob,

Differential GPS to monitor structural deformations? Sounds interesting.

Let's talk.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

Blue Modal

208-887-3794 or 1-866-2-UNWIRE

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card