Views
Helpful
Replies

Smart Licensing

Kevynjr37
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,
I really appreciate some assistance in licensing a vWLC9800-Cloud. It is my first time working with smart licensing using policy. I have 120 APs, 50 of the APs have joined the controller, and the other 70 could not. I then went through a Cisco document that said a certain number of APs would join the controller, but you have to register for the rest of the other APs to join the controller.
I can't get my head around the smart licensing thing - I went through the Cisco docs and watched videos, but it is still not helping.
I would appreciate it if anybody shared the commands I need in WLC to register the license.

I've already created the virtual account and generated the token, which I find simple.

Best Regards,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Rich R,

Thank you so much for the above configs; it worked in one shot. Sorry for not updating you on time. 

@Flavio Miranda Thank you again for the video link much appreciated. 

@Scott Fella Thank you for your contributions. 

Kevynjr37

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Hello,

This video is for Physical WLC but I believe the process is the same.

https://www.labminutes.com/wl0043_9800_wlc_license_certificate_install 

Hi Flavio,

Let me watch it; thank you.

Hi Flavio,

I just watched the video; it is very helpful, but his setup is a bit different from mine. He used vrf, and he had to specify the source interface. I am not using a vrf. Let me keep searching, but thanks for the link it has a whole lot of info that is very helpful.

Best Regards, 

Kevin

Kevynjr37
Level 1
Level 1

Good everyone,

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Best Regards, 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

This is my config fragment for activating SLUP:

conf t
no service call-home
license smart enable
license smart url default
license smart transport smart
ip http client source-interface <mgmt interface>
ip name-server <a.b.c.d> <e.f.g.h>
ip domain lookup
ip domain lookup source-interface <mgmt interface>
end
wr

license smart trust idtoken <token> all force
wr

Use these commands to check status:
show lic status
show lic summ
show lic all
show platform software license dlc

Note that it can take a few minutes for license trust to be set up (device connects to Cisco license server).
Then you'll see this in the logs - use sh log | inc LIC
%SMART_LIC-5-COMM_RESTORED: Communications with Cisco Smart Software Manager (CSSM) restored
%SMART_LIC-6-TRUST_INSTALL_SUCCESS: A new licensing trust code was successfully installed on <device UDI>.
The device submits a report (PUSH) and then polls for a reply (ACK) 5 to 30 minutes later.
If it's been upgraded from non smart license then dlc (device lead conversion of old license to smart license) can take up to a day after smart licensing is activated.

DLC won't apply to your 9800-CL WLC obviously.
Note that we disable call-home - you might still want to use that and it is also a transport option for smart licensing.

Hi Rich,

Much appreciated with the config provided above; I am in the right direction - the issue that I have now is I am getting an error "failed to resolve the domain name" I believe the domain name I am using is wrong. I will speak to the customer again to get the correct info. 

I will post the command output later. 

Once again, thank you so much. 

Best Regards, 

Kevin

What is the EXACT error you are getting and at which point?

That sounds like a DNS error in which case the problem is with the DNS lookup of the smart licensing server.  If you use the config I provided then the default domain it uses is "smartreceiver.cisco.com" so it must be able to resolve that and reach it on https.
Check the DNS first by pinging that (remember to use the same source you specified in the config) and then check that firewalls and ACLs are not blocking access to it.  Use smart licensing debugs and packet captures (which will also show if the DNS lookup fails).

Hi Rich,

Kindly see attached the error I am getting when registering the controller.

Thanks

Kevin

Yes that clearly says "Unable to resolve server hostname/domain name" so your problem is DNS.  So nothing to do with smart licensing itself but smart licensing depends on DNS and http client so get the DNS working first as I said above.

Hi Rich,

Sure, thank you so much. I will sort the DNS working and try again. 

Thank you for your valuable input.

Hi @Rich R,

Thank you so much for the above configs; it worked in one shot. Sorry for not updating you on time. 

@Flavio Miranda Thank you again for the video link much appreciated. 

@Scott Fella Thank you for your contributions. 

Kevynjr37

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What access points?  If these are brand new 91xx access points, you would buy the license when you purchase these ap's.  I they are existing that were working with AireOS you need to purchase license.  Have you looked at the FAQ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215635-licensing-on-9800-wireless-lan-controlle.html#anc4

Keep in mind that ap's will still join even without registered license, so you probably have a different issue.  Are the ap's supported on the code you are running on the controller?  Have you verified that the ap's are getting DHCP and are able to reach the controller?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/215635-licensing-on-9800-wireless-lan-controlle.html#anc22

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott, 

Yes, these are new APs 9115AX. I have about 50 or so that joined the controller. When I shut the ports of the APs, I am seeing other APs joining the controller; hence I assume it is the licensing that I need.

Thanks

I understand, but the last link I posted states, "Even if the controller is not properly licensed, it is fully functional. You occasionally see notifications and syslog messages that remind you to license your controller."

This is a new setup, so open a TAC case and have them help you.  If you have purchased licenses with the access points, then the vendor whom you bought the ap's should add them to your smart account.  Then you follow the instructions to add the controller to your smart licensing.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card