cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some C1242 Radios are disabled after WLC 5508 upgrade to 7.3.101.0

gcurto
Level 1
Level 1

One week ago I use a WLC 5508 to place and replace another WLC 5508 with version 6.0.199.4, when I conect the new WLC all AP´s works OK only 10 dont work and not are recognizes from the WLC with version 7.3.101.0. The fail is the radios stay disabled. All ap´s are AIR-AP1242G-AK9 . See the image below, the only difference this ten AP´s are conected in switches cisco all the rest are connected in switches of ohter vendor.  

If possible some command in the configuration is not neccesary and make the bad function?

This is tipically config apllied by the customer in they cisco switches

interface   GigabitEthernet0/22
description PB-RS-A22
switchport access vlan 5
switchport mode access
switchport port-security
switchport port-security aging time 2
switchport port-security violation restrict
switchport port-security aging type   inactivity
macro description cisco-desktop
spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

I reed some documents but i don´t found the right solution can any help me?

Thank

4 Replies 4

David Watkins
Level 4
Level 4

Are the APs being powered through POE or perhaps an injector (if injector, do you have the injector override enabled for joined APs with their radios down?)  What's the disparity of the models; are all 1242s in this "down radio" state, or only the 1242s plugged in to the Cisco Switches?

When you say the 10 don't work and are not "recognized" by the WLC, are you indicating that they have not re-joined the newer WLC or are they joined but their radios are not operationally up?  Please clarify the state of these APs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn73.html#wp965532

Please note that a version prior to 7.0.98.0 cannot be upgraded directly to 7.3.101.0 from the WLC perspective, but it's possible your 1242 AP's image (used from the 6.0.199.4 release) is not able to properly join and download code for the 7.3.101.0 WLC that was put in to place.  The 1242 APs in your scenario would still be running the old 6.0.199.4 image.

I'm curious what all is or isn't happening from the questions above, but you may need to load a newer recovery release on the 1242s to have them join properly - or - downgrade the WLC to a version that allows a direct upgrade from 6.0.199.4 such as 7.0.240.0.  Let the APs join the downgraded WLC and finish up any image downloads and re-join, then upgrade the WLC back to 7.3.101.0 (would recommend latest 7.3.112.0 instead) and see if they rejoin and radios are online.

Hi, David thank you for help me, all ap´s are powered by it´s own power supply (not POE or Power injector), When I say 10 don´t works are joined but whit it´s radios DOWN. At this moment I so the print screen of WLC monitor AP summary is not published.

We have two WLC one with the version 6.0.199.4 image and other with 7.3.101.0 image we plug and unplug the ethernet cable to use one or the other.

The problem is 31 AP upgrade to the new image but only 10 plugged into a Cisco switches don´t enable the radio all the rest plugged into other provider switch works ok, when we take one of this 10 and plug into the other switch works ok.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you elaborate any further when you say "doesn't work"?  Does it power up or not?

If the APs power up, console into one of them and post the entire bootup process.

Please also post the output to the following commands:

1.  WLC:  sh sysinfo;

2.  AP:  sh version; and

3.  AP:  sh inventory

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disable CDP neighbor on the AP ports on the Cisco switch. Or You can also go into the WLC>wireless> and open the AP and go to the advanced tab to change the PoE state settings of that AP. that should fix your issue.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card