cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Standardization of Wireless Client Configurations

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know of a software platform that can help us enforce the network adapter settings of our wireless clients? Unfortunately we don't have a lot of control over the chipsets and device types. If we could identify clients that do not meet our template, at least we could work on fixing them before they become a problem. An example of this might be to identify clients with only slower data rates enabled or those that scan unused channels.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I guess the closest thing is Network Access Control (NAC) but it won't be the complete solution.

In an enterprise-level, if the organization provides the laptops then it's alot easier than the new rave of BYOD.

I'm looking at an array of device types. Handheld scanners, zebra label printers, Windows XP forklift terminals, DOS terminals. If we could get the Windows based clients under control, it would be a big step. I've looked at NAC for other reasons in the past. Thanks for the idea.

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

Just to follow up. Since most of our clients run Cisco cards, we've decided to start by locking down access to the profiles so users and computer techs cannot make changes. We're also exploring the idea of using Cisco AnyConnect as a common interface to manage the wireless profiles. Its not as granual with the configuration options but does offer a single interface for all wireless clients.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card