Views
Helpful
Replies

The Basics - How a Packet is transmitted over the RF Medium - Help Please

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

Please could you help me understand a concept that may be basic to most of you, but for me, I dont fully understand.

When a packet is transmitted from a wireless NIC on a PC to an AP, does the copy of the same packet get transmitted many times in many directions by the wireless NIC or Antenna?.

Please can you be so kind and look at the picture I created.

Is this how it works.

Also, if this is correct, how many copies of the packet would the antenna send?

Many thx indeed to all for your help,

Kind regards,

Ken

31 Replies 31

I intend to read through this again as its interestins and if you can visualise what the RF is doing, why it interferes etc you are half way there and it saves alot of problems later. You get instances where people tell you FHSS doesnt interfere with DFSS, unfortunately they are wrong as FHSS hops across all of the 11 or 13 channels you use so it interferes with everything, lok in a small way but its still an issue.

Get the physics right and it makes the world a simpler place. I dont understand all of it but enough to make my life easier. Also the RF domain is always the first problem area people point to as its invisible.

If you havent already, visit www.cwnp.com or better yet purchase the CWNA Offical Study Guide. i think its Chaper 2, RF Fundamentals will go a long way.

Jeff great response ...5 stars

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin