cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

To Multicast or Not to Multicast?

recent2Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2504 Wireless LAN Controller with only 1 Cisco Aironet access point attached.  When I use Apple FaceTime with my family over wireless, at times the audio/video is herky-jerky with audio drops and video freezes.  Should I enable Multicast on my 2504 WLC to help with the FaceTime audio/video?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't think multicast would do anything for that. Can be the signal or your internet connection.  I have a 2504 and three AP's with no issues.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I'm not sure what's causing my issues but all of the posts that I've read seems to point to enabling multicast. 

My guess is that multicast is not likely the cause.  What's happening on the network at YOUR home, or THEIR home, or anywhere between is more likely the cause of the issue.

It'd be nice if Apple provided real wired Ethernet connections, so that you could run directly to verify.

does your clients connecting in 2.4GHz band or 5GHz? If your clients are dual band, I would make this WLAN 5GHz only (under radio policy) & see how is the performance.

Also I would check what is RSSI/SNR of clients when you having this degraded performance prior to move on to other config tweaks.

Post "show wlan x"  output where X is your WLAN ID

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Is there a way to configure each SSID to use either 2.4 or 5 GHz using the 2504 WLC GUI other than using a policy?  Where would that setting be? 

I've not configured any policies on the 2504 WLC nor do I know how seeing this is my first attempt at wireless using a wireless LAN controller.

Edit one of your WLAN's.  On the General page, there is a radio drop-down selection for

- 802.11a only

- 802.11a/g only

- all  (default)

- 802.11 b/g only

This selection will apply to that WLAN only, so if you have 2, you can have one at 5 Ghz only, and the other being "all" or one of the other options.

From the research I've done online by comparison to what you provided, for 5 GHz, I would have to choose 802.11a only?  Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. Select 802.11a for 5GHz only WLAN

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card