Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with WPA2

Alex-Pr
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there,

We have some trouble with devices connecting to WPA2 Personal networks.  Most devices (98%) work fine.  What we have found is point of sale devices (square, clover, etc), and some people from places in Europe (Germany, Slovakia, and others) that can't connect to our public networks that are broadcasting as WPA2.

When we have them connect via the same AP with either an Open or WPA1 Personal, the connection works fine.

Any idea why this is happening?  This problem seems to appear since we have upgraded to the 8.10 train of code for 9100 aps(now on 8.10.171.0) .  Back with 8.5 we never saw this problem...

The problem appears that the device is rejecting the connection...  like something is wrong with the proposals... If I change the setting from being WPA2 Personal to WPA1 Personal, it works instantly.

Thank you

8 Replies 8

create a test SSID on wPA2-PSK & see those devices connect without a problem.

Also I would delete profile on a client device & try it & see if that works

HTH
Rasika
*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

I have tried both many time.  By changing the the SSID to WPA1 works right away.

Also the same client can connect fine to WPA2 network that is running on a 1552E AP connected to a 5508 WLC running 8.3.143. So I know the clients work on WPA2

The problem is only for clients that connect to our system that is a 5520 running 8.10.171 with 9120 and 9105 aps.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact model of the AP?

The system having trouble is 5520 running 8.10.171 with 9120 and 9105 aps.

The same clients work fine for WPA2 on a 5508 running 8.3.143 with 1552E aps.

Thanks

Raise a TAC Case ASAP.  8.10MR8 is about to be released.

Try and disable WMM and see if this works.

I tried it. No luck. I have an open TAC case

An interesting thing is as I change the settings I get a different result

WPA1+WPA2 or just WPA2 = can't connect

Change to WPA1 only - connects

Change after to WPA2 only - connects

Add a new WLAN with WPA2 = can't connect

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You don't have TKIP also enabled on the SSID?

Can you make a "debug client [macaddressofproblematicclient]" and then try to connect a few times? That might show something more.

Also disable FT (802.11r) on the SSID if it's enabled.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card