cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two-Headed WLC HA Pair Recovery

jmeachum
Level 1
Level 1

If the Primary and Secondary WLC loose all connectivity between each other they will both become active controllers. Due to HSRP also being split at the same time they will both be able to reach the configured DG.  When connectivity is restored between the Primary and Secondary units will they auto recover or is there manual intervention required?  If intervention is required what will need to happen?

2 Replies 2

Hi @jmeachum

No intervention would be necessary if everything work as it should.  WLC will negotiate the role again when they start seeing each other.

But chances are that the Secondary unit get in maintenance  mode and on this case you need manual intervention.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not ran into this issue as of yet. In SSO, the management port and the redundancy port as used to determine the state of the network. That being said, there are other things to worry more in SSO that can put one or both controllers in down state. Maintenance mode can occurs when an errors occurs due to code mismatch during upgrade and or bugs for example. Maintenance mode will disable the controllers port and manual intervention is required. Having out of band console to the pairs is a lifesaver.  I have seen upgrades happen and the peer controller doesn’t reload and cause this issue along with some bugs, but never two being active. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card