Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to join 1552H to 2504 WLC.

Lee Swindon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I have a 2504 WLC that is currently running 5 x 3702i and 1 x 1532. Today I received 6 x 1552H (AIR-CAP-1552H-E-K9) that I also need to join to the controller.

I activated the relevant licences, and confirmed I have 6 unused licenses available.

When I try to add one of the 1552Hs, it refuses to join - I can see it in the Monitor > Statistics > AP Join section of the WLC's web interface, and have added its MAC address in Security > AAA > MAC Filtering.

The detail in Monitor > Statistics > AP Join shows the APs status as "Not Joined" - under Discovery Phase Statistics both requests sent and received show as 2, and there's today's date next to "Last Successful Attempt Time" - but everything else is blank/0.

I've attached the text of the console from the AP when it boots/tries to join - if that's of any help, if there's any more info I can provide please let me know.

Can anyone help with this?

Regards, Lee.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ahh.. yes switches are recommended. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience as well are all learning everyday. 

William Kuczmera

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

What version of code is on your WLC ? 

You need at least 7.0.116.0

AIR-CAP1552H-x-K9

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html#pgfId-147346

William Kuczmera 

Also, here is a nice little tidbit i could see myself missing out of the deployment guide. 

Note   

For 1500 series outdoor mesh access points, specify the BVI MAC address of the mesh access point into the controller as a MAC filter. For indoor mesh access points, enter the Ethernet MAC. If the required MAC address does not appear on the exterior of the mesh access point, enter the following command at the access point console to display the BVI and Ethernet MAC addresses: sh int | i hardware.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/8-2/b_mesh_82/Connecting_the_Cisco_1500_Series_Mesh_Access_Points_to_the___.html#ID4755

William Kuczmera 

If he is running 3700 I would assume he is on 7.6 or better code. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/119286-lap-notjoin-wlc-tshoot.html#c1

Here is a list of examples with debugs of aps that cant join and why. AP isn't showing much detail. I would do a debug capwap events and PKI and see what that shows. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks for your replies gents, the WLC is on 8.2.141.

I ran the sh int command, and that only returned one MAC address - which is the one I added to the filter list - the exact text was "BVI1 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is BVI, address is 2c31.2470.7be0 (bia 2c31.2470.7be0)"

BUT.... Here's the strange thing - it has now joined successfully, some 6 hours after I last touched it! I left it connected up in my office last night, and the WLC reports the AP joined around 11pm, the last thing I did before I left at 5pm was restart both the WLC and the AP. 

So I have another 5 of them to try - I'll try and get those to connect today before I mark this thread as solved.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lee.

Thanks for explaining the outcome Lee. 

William Kuczmera

Soooo.... I tried joining the rest of the APs today - still no joy... until...

I unplugged the AP from the front ports of the WLC and plugged it into a nearby switch - worked straight away. Odd that the first one managed to join plugged into that port - even if it did take 6 hours - and as far as I remember, the APs that were previously joined to the WLC were plugged into its front ports.

You live. you learn! 

Thanks once again for your assistance.

Regards, Lee.

Ahh.. yes switches are recommended. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience as well are all learning everyday. 

William Kuczmera

Soooo.... I tried joining the rest of the APs today - still no joy... until...

I unplugged the AP from the front ports of the WLC and plugged it into a nearby switch - worked straight away. Odd that the first one managed to join plugged into that port - even if it did take 6 hours - and as far as I remember, the APs that were previously joined to the WLC were plugged into its front ports.

You live. you learn! 

Thanks once again for your assistance.

Regards, Lee.

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paste the output of the command:

sh sysinfo from WLC

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card