Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating Radius server

iores
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If Radius server gets updated with the new IP address, will current users remain connected or will they need to reconnect?

I am asking for both AireOS and 9800 WLC.

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In essence the question is unrelated to current connected client because radius authentications happen in the background are usually not done by the controller directly such as with ISE. So then ISE (only - e.g.) needs to be configured with the (a) correct address(es) of the radius server(s). Because of the client not knowing anything about that  , it will remain connected. Unless for some 
types of full L3 roaming (e.g.) where a new authentication is needed ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Like Marce says there is no reason why your radius change should impact clients.

If you plan to change the IP on the fly then before the change add the new IP to the WLC as an additional radius server and then when you change the AP the WLC will simply switch to the new IP and then you can remove the old one.

Obviously you also need to make sure all the correct routing, ACLs, firewall changes etc are in place too.

Gaurav  Kansal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Already connected users will not disconnect untill  WLC perform some security or spoof detection and start kicking the users..

Are you running just one AAA or is there another one?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card