Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading PI 1.3.0.20 to PI 1.4

marek.golha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

do I need any upgrade license to migrade from PI 1.3 to PI 1.4 or only a smartnet support is enough? 

Is there a documentation for the upgrade procedure from PI 1.3 to PI 1.4, I was unable to find it.

Thank you.

Marek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I do not think you require to purchase any additional license for these upgrade. So no cost as long as  you have maintenance support.

if you are doing a fresh installation, you may need to re-host your license to the new server. For that you may need to contact TAC.

It is upto customer to decide whether they want to go for 1.4 or 2.1. If it is a bug on 1.3 check whether if it resolve in 2.1 as that is the latest from Cisco.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Here is the release note for this 1.4.x

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/1-4/release/notes/cpi_rn_14.html

1.4.x is not backward compatible & you cannot downgrade once you move to 1.4.x

What's the reason you to go for 1.4.x ? . I think you better off going to CPI 2.1 from  CPI1.3 rather move onto 1.4. (If you go to 1.4, there is no upgrade path to 2.1) Here is the 2.1 release notes

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-1/release/notes/cpi_rn.html#pgfId-47181

There are lot of confusion around these multiple version of PI & those upgrades are not smooth as document state. So better to do a fresh install & migrate your maps & re-host the licence.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hello Rasika,

thank you for your time to answer. But the main question was not answered:

"do I need any upgrade license to migrade from PI 1.3 to PI 1.4 or only a smartnet support is enough? "

I am aware of the issues when moving to PI 1.4 and I have read the release notes for 1.4 several times - what I cant find is the Licensing guide for 1.4.

One of my customers want to move to 1.4 because they are hitting a bug in 1.3 which should be solved in 1.4. The other reason why the customer dont want to go to 2.x is that he dont wants to pay another money to transfer his licenses from 1.3 to 2.x.

Thank you.

Marek

I do not think you require to purchase any additional license for these upgrade. So no cost as long as  you have maintenance support.

if you are doing a fresh installation, you may need to re-host your license to the new server. For that you may need to contact TAC.

It is upto customer to decide whether they want to go for 1.4 or 2.1. If it is a bug on 1.3 check whether if it resolve in 2.1 as that is the latest from Cisco.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hello Rasika,

thank you for this information. I the mean time I found this information in the release notes for PI1.2:

CiscoWorks LMS 2.x/3.x and Cisco Prime LMS 4.0 and 4.1 were offered only with Cisco Software Application Support (SAS). When upgrading to Cisco Prime LMS 4.2 through Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 you can continue with your existing SAS contract for LMS. If you have an LMS 4.x release covered under an SAS contract you are entitled to this and future Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.x releases at no charge. You also have the option of canceling your existing SAS contract on LMS, obtaining credit for the balance, and purchasing a new SASU contract for Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2, which entitles you to free minor and major release upgrades to Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

From this information I suppose that if the customer purchased something like this:

CON-SAU-PI12LF25
SW APP SUPP + UPGR PI 1.2 - Lifecycle - 25 Device Lic

Then the customer can perform this minor upgrade at no charge.

Thank you for your help.

Marek

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card