Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 3502P with the WLC 5508 in a different Vlan/network

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would need your recomendations for the best solution given the hardware I have. We have big network which is divided into to seperate network through a VLAN ( vlan 203 and vlan 235). Please see diagram for reference. A WLC (AIR-CT5508-25-K9) with HA (AIR-CT5508-HA-K9) is on the vlan 203 connected to the 6500 core switch. On the other network which is on the vlan 235, 2 4500's are there but there is no controller there. We have AP (

AIR-CAP3502P-E-K9).

My question is, How will we connect the AP in the Vlan 235 to connect to the WLC which is on the VLAN 203. Both sites ( Network A and Network B) are connected through a routing protocol EIGRP.

Can we use H-REAP? is it supported with the AIR-CAP3502P-E-K9? Please advise.

19 Replies 19

I have purchased the antennas and cables with the AP's. we chose the 3502p because we needed to cover very large areas

This is actually a large warehouse/factory type of environment, so it serves the purpose.

Antennas and appropriate cabels were also purchsed.

In this case where they are 2 separate networks or VLANs, HREAP seems like the only way to go as hardware has already been purchsed.

for the 2x 5508 to be redundant, they need to be on the same VLAN.

Yes, I guess The only solution I have is to do Flexconnect(H-REAP) and put both 5508 and 5508-HA on one network while the other AP's on the other network go through the routing protocol to reach the WLC accross the network. If this doesnt work for some reason, Option 2 by Sandeep is the way to go.

khan300
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

I will be now implementing the design as per our above discussions. Please refer to the diagram attached. I will be doing internal DHCP for both remote AP's (flexconnect) and local AP's. Once I make the Pools for the dhcp, do I need to assing it to a dynamic interface for each vlan? Let me know how to configure this correctly. There arent many AP's on each side. around 6-7 on each side.

ok I just read that internal DHCP servers are not supported when using HA AP SSO on the wlc 5508. Since I'll be using that, there is no point using internal DHCP's angry.

Now since I'm new to external DHCP connected to controllers, can you please advice me where and how to put the external dhcp's with their respective vlans for both flexconnect site and local site? Please refer to the diagram to have a clear picture.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card