cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using A WiFi Repeater with Cisco EPC3928S Modem

Chris-N
Level 1
Level 1

Please see the attached screenshot. Please can someone explain to me what is the meaning of the WDS "Wireless Distribution settings" in the Cisco software? Do I need to use these settings and fill in the repeater Mac address in order to use any kind of wifi Repeater?

I have set up a wifi repeater in another room and it is broadcsting the same ssid as my Cisco modem ( I checked using a wifi analyser app on my phone). So it appears to be working, but I don't know how efficiently it is working as I have not used the Cisco WDS settings. 

In order to set up a wifi repeater, do I need to bother with these settings? I have not seen these settings on other modem software. Your advice would be appreciated

Kind regards

Chris

Repeater Settings.jpg

3 Replies 3

Hi

Yes, you should check the option "Allow wireless signal to ne repeated by a repeater" and you should add the mac address of the repeater on the Remote Access Point.

WDS is a protocol developed by Cisco in order to create mesh wifi networks. But usually this feature works between similar devices.

Thank you. I will try to set it up as you have suggested and see how I get on.

Kind regards

Chris

Update. I successfully set up the WDS "Wireless Distribution settings" The problem is that to make it work,  I had to disable all WPA and WPA2 security. Unfortunately, my wireless doorbell will not recognise the non-secure wifi network.

So I set up the repeater with WDS disabled. The repeater seems to be working, but I don't know if its helping much or fighting against the main signal. The repeater and the Modem both have the same ssid and the same wifi channel. I will do some more tests.

Kind regards

Chris 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card