Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Management Interface as WLAN interface

Arie --
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 1 IP segment only and this segment need to use as management interface, for AP's IP address and also for WLAN user. I create an SSID and I use the management interface as the WLAN interface, rather than make a new dynamic interface. The WLAN is set on local mode (centralized switching, centralized authentication). I have not decided what security that I will use, but I assume that I will use WPA2/PSK.

My questions are, is that possible if I use management interface as a WLAN interface and are there any issues with that configuration?

Thank you in advanced.

Regards,

Arie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

can you do this, yes. Should you do this, no. The management vlan has the capwap tunnels and controller traffic. Keep the client traffic on another vlan. Not to mention the security concern. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It will work, but not best practice. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello George,

Is there any issue in the future with that configuration?

Thank you

can you do this, yes. Should you do this, no. The management vlan has the capwap tunnels and controller traffic. Keep the client traffic on another vlan. Not to mention the security concern. 

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card