Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 'Radio' in Access point

Prasan Venky
Level 3
Level 3

Dear all,

Is it possible to use one radio for mobile users and another radio for laptop users in AP..? if possible how do we do that ...?

Thanks in advance

KVS

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well if your talking about users on like the 2.4 and mobile users on the 5ghz, sure. You would need two separate SSID's and assign them to which ever radio but not really a good idea. That was how many home wireless routers/AP were initially made, but I just don't see why you would do it that way. If you wanted to split the different devices, just use different SSID's and allow then to choose what radios they will associate to. Some devices might only support the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz so that limited you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Here is a support doc that includes a video on how to accomplish that

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Martin Bosch
Level 1
Level 1

I don't believe so... the older access points had 3 modes

• Diversity                  -- (Default) Tells the device to use the antenna that receives                  the best signal. If your device has two fixed (non-removable)                  antennas, use this setting for both receive and transmit.
  • Right -- If your device has removable                  antennas and you install a high-gain antenna on the right connector,                  use this setting for both receive and transmit. When you look                  at the back panel, the right antenna is on the right.
  • Left -- If your device has removable                  antennas and you install a high-gain antenna on the left connector,                  use this setting for both receive and transmit. When you look                  at the back panel, the left antenna is on the left.

The new ones starting to use MIMO (Multiple-Input Multiple-Output)

http://www.quantenna.com/4x4-mimo.html <- a nice read.

I have not seen if you can split ssid per radio. - I could be wrong

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well if your talking about users on like the 2.4 and mobile users on the 5ghz, sure. You would need two separate SSID's and assign them to which ever radio but not really a good idea. That was how many home wireless routers/AP were initially made, but I just don't see why you would do it that way. If you wanted to split the different devices, just use different SSID's and allow then to choose what radios they will associate to. Some devices might only support the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz so that limited you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

This is what exactly i was looking for.. Actually i thought mobile users traffic would use seperate radio which would increase laptop users performance.. I could have stood in a wrong plan.. thanks for your clarification ...

KVS

Here is a support doc that includes a video on how to accomplish that

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14496

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Thanks a ton ...

It's possible but in practice, it's not "popular".

The reason is clients that CANNOT support 802.11 a/n. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: