cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN association with SSID where AP connects WLC over layer 3 network

roussseau
Level 1
Level 1

Can CAPWAP carry VLAN? Is it possible to connect AP with WLC over layer 3 network where ssid have different VLAN? The following is my desired topology. Please advice.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ap just needs connectivity to the WLC. So basically you need UDP 5346/5247 or UDP 12222/12223 depending if your using capwap or lwapp.  These are ports that the ap and WLC use to communicate. Vlan tagging of traffic depends if your tunneling traffic back to the WLC or locally at each site, which then you need to use flexconnect. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_flexconnect.html

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Your WLAN will define what vlan locally to the controller the clients will be placed on. If centrally switched, it follows the setup as local mode access points. The interface you defend in the WLAN will be used. 

-Scott

-Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ap just needs connectivity to the WLC. So basically you need UDP 5346/5247 or UDP 12222/12223 depending if your using capwap or lwapp.  These are ports that the ap and WLC use to communicate. Vlan tagging of traffic depends if your tunneling traffic back to the WLC or locally at each site, which then you need to use flexconnect. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_flexconnect.html

-Scott

-Scott

Thank you for replying earlier. I have gone through the flexconnect documents and have some questions. In my scenario I want to tunnel traffic back to WLC (centrally switched) but not sure about the wlan configuration in WLC, how VLAN is mapped with wlan when centrally switched?

(AP will be connected to a router so no VLAN awareness at that end, that interface will have dhcp with option 43 for AP). 

Your WLAN will define what vlan locally to the controller the clients will be placed on. If centrally switched, it follows the setup as local mode access points. The interface you defend in the WLAN will be used. 

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card