Michael Grevald
Level 1
Level 1
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It needs to be a unique IP address.  The "gateway" would typically point to your core switch VLAN IP address.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It needs to be a unique IP address.  The "gateway" would typically point to your core switch VLAN IP address.

Thanks philip!

So basically, if I have 2 controllers & 2 different VLAN interfaces, then I would need to assign a total of 4 unique ip addresses, that is, assigned per interface per controller, is that correct?

The "gateway" would typically point to your core switch VLAN IP address

Are you sure about this? Because we do have a running wireless production environment with multiple wlans and 4 controllers. However, the gateway for these existing "working" vlans/wlans are NOT set to the IP address of that specific vlan, instead they are set to the 'gateway of that vlan subnet'. And things have been working great. I am only trying to fix some misconfigured IPs for couple of newly added interfaces on the WLC.

Correct.

Well, if you don't configure the gateway and the controller needs to forward a packet itself using that interface then it will fail.  I guess you just don't have anything enable that requires the controller to do this so you are getting away with it.

Yes, we do have the gateway configured on the 'Inteface' on the WLC. What I meant was its just not set to the IP address of that VLAN, instead set to the gateway of that VLAN subnet.

So, lets say the subnet range for my working WLAN/VLAN is 172.16.192.0 /21. So the IP address for that subnet is 172.16.192.2 on the core and the gateway for this subnet is 172.16.192.1. And this is also the gateway set for that interface on the WLC as well.

That sounds correct.  You get the jist.  The "gateway" should be configured to be whatever the correct gateway is for that VLAN.

Great! That clears the confusion. Because the whole thing was configured by a company few years back, so just needed to make sure before I proceed.

Thanks philip for your help!

You're welcome.  It would be great if you could rate and mark helpful answers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card