Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC | Error in setting management interface IP

khaledtawfik192
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I'm working on setting up an EVE-NG lab and I have 2 different ISO images for versions 8.3.141 and 8.7.102, when I'm doing the initial setup of the 5500 vWLC after I configure the management IP I get the error message saying Error in setting management interface IP on both versions of vWLC.

I have seen recommendations online to make sure service port has a non-routable IP address, which I have. I tried 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 for the service port.

Service Port and your Management in different Subnets, which I have.

I can't do any show commands because I'm in the initial setup.

My flow control is set to none on serial. I rebooted the controllers multiple times and still getting the same issue.

Any idea what could be wrong here?

Thank you in advance for your help.

5 Replies 5

Rich R
VIP
VIP

8.7 was deferred and is end of support.

8.3.141 is end of support and isn't even the latest release of 8.3

So start off by getting an up to date version of the code (always refer to TAC recommended link below) - currently:
https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284464214/type/280926587/release/8.10.190.0

But your problem sounds more fundamental than that.
- is that the exact error that you're seeing "Error in setting management interface IP"?
- what IP are you trying to set it to?
- what hypervisor are you trying to install it on? (refer to the release notes for supported hypervisors and versions)  Any other hypervisor is not supported and may not work.
- did you follow the install guide for the hypervisor?  There are specific settings required for vWLC to work.

Hi Rich, replying below,

- is that the exact error that you're seeing "Error in setting management interface IP"? Yes, on all cWLC versions I have tried, I downloaded multiple ones from cisco and getting the same result. 
- what IP are you trying to set it to? Private IP out of 192.168.1/24 The service port 1.1.1.1
- what hypervisor are you trying to install it on? Installing in in eve-ng that is running on Ubuntu bare matel server.
- did you follow the install guide for the hypervisor?  I did follow the steps from eve-ng website.

- what hypervisor are you trying to install it on? Installing in in eve-ng that is running on Ubuntu bare matel server.
Not supported by Cisco.  If you try to run it on an unsupported hypervisor then you're on your own I'm afraid.

Supported hypervisors:

Cisco Virtual Wireless Controller (vWLC) on the following platforms:

• VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) Version 5.x and 6.x

• Hyper-V on Microsoft Server 2012 and later versions (support introduced in Release 8.4)

• Kernel-based virtual machine (KVM) (support introduced in Release 8.1).

It eventually worked after assigning a different subnet to the management port. Thank you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card