cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vWLC - Which Version of VMware Should I Install?

Jacob Berger
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I i'm planning our first  vWLC installation (Used WiSM up-to now).

Which version (free?) of VMware is good enough for this task?

I would like to be able to backup the box with Veeam...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

They would work on the same network, but they don't support the same models of APs.

The old WiSM (WiSM1, not WiSM2) only supports software up to release 7.0. All newer 802.11AC Access Points require newer software and thus can't be used with a WiSM. The WiSM is also End of Life, I wouldn't use it for business critical network.

I sadly don't know how many AP are supported, but you might find the information here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/about_mob_exp.html

For the VMware backup option, you can simply take a weekly snapshot and save that somewhere else. Once the WLC is up and running, not much is changing in the configuration, thus you don't need to make a lot of backups. Not sure if it's supported on the vWLC, but on the others you can simply take a backup of the running-configuration, and simply restore that to a newly deployed vWLC. You maybe need to rehost the license after that though.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Virtual WLC has many restrictions compared to the WISM (and the newer ones), mostly in the area of performance and scalability.

See here for the comparison:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/wireless/wireless-lan-controller/product-comparison.html

The feature I'd miss the most is AVC, which allows you to do protocol based QoS on wireless by simply selecting the protocol (for example PCoIP) and give that a higher priority (than for example YouTube or Facebook).

If you can wait a little bit, have a look at the brand new WLC 3504.

i dont have a choice...its only the vWLC or nothing.

Not even a small 1850 AP with WLC Express built in?

Here are the recommended system requirements for the ESXi server:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/virtual-wireless-controller/113677-virtual-wlan-dg-00.html

It really depends on your requirements regarding failover, backup and similar on what licenses of VMware you require. It maybe even works on VMware Player, as long as your "server" has enough system resources (which are quite low). Officially only ESXi is supported though.

How many AP does a 1850 AP with WLC Express support?

Would there be a problem with 1850 and WiSM on same network? ( different vlans and ssids).

I only have one license for vWLC so i understand my backup option is  an image of the setup after all is working....

Thanks

They would work on the same network, but they don't support the same models of APs.

The old WiSM (WiSM1, not WiSM2) only supports software up to release 7.0. All newer 802.11AC Access Points require newer software and thus can't be used with a WiSM. The WiSM is also End of Life, I wouldn't use it for business critical network.

I sadly don't know how many AP are supported, but you might find the information here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/about_mob_exp.html

For the VMware backup option, you can simply take a weekly snapshot and save that somewhere else. Once the WLC is up and running, not much is changing in the configuration, thus you don't need to make a lot of backups. Not sure if it's supported on the vWLC, but on the others you can simply take a backup of the running-configuration, and simply restore that to a newly deployed vWLC. You maybe need to rehost the license after that though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: