cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Warehouse Wireless Debacle

Redy2Learn
Level 1
Level 1

I've recently been tasked with researching a solution for wireless in our warehouses. We currently run really cheap Engenuis products that wreak havoc on our barcode scanners. Partially due to weak signal, but also because of hard handoffs.

I personally want to go with more (expensive) WAPs with controllers to solve this problem. However, leadership has two entirely different ideas:

1.) A single extremely high powered WAP to cover the entirety of the warehouse. (Some up to 50-60k Sqft)

2.) A single WAP with external antennas placed all over the warehouse.

I'm well aware that the two solutions above aren't realistic, and will almost certainly result in failure. However, it doesn't hurt to ask. Have any of you worked with anything similar to the two solutions above?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Have a wonderful day ahead.

3 Replies 3

Hi

One point of irradiation to the entire Warehouse?  If true, then, impossible. You can possibly send signal at a good RSSI to all corners but the problem is that the bar coder will not succeed in reply to the AP. 

I´d go with AP on the corridor with external antennas 120 degrees. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Vasco Costa
Level 1
Level 1

A single radiation for warehouse? Maybe with 802.11ah but I don't think it's "out there". But even if it did, a single point of radiation would mean that it would also be a single point of failure and knowing the warehouse folk, you'll be in a lot of trouble if that AP would crash or need replacement. :-)

Cheers,
Vasco

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Redy2Learn wrote:

1.) A single extremely high powered WAP to cover the entirety of the warehouse. (Some up to 50-60k Sqft) 

This is not going to work.  The basic rule of wireless is a two-way-street.  The wireless client can "hear" the AP but the AP won't be able to "hear" the wireless client.  

@Redy2Learn wrote:

2.) A single WAP with external antennas placed all over the warehouse. 

Wrong approach.  Wrong option.

Wireless in a warehouse requires the AP to be positioned correctly.  The only way to do this properly is to get a professional to conduct a wireless site survey.  

A wireless site survey done right is the least expensive than not to have one.  Been there.  Done that.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card