cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS - Forwarding of alarms to NMS - Is there a way?

kfarrington
Level 3
Level 3

All,

I cannot see any way of setting up alarm or syslog information on the WCS to any external network managment system.

Is there a way and I just cannot see it, or is this something that needs to be developed?

Many thx indeed for your help,

Ken

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pvanvuuren
Level 3
Level 3

In WCS version 4.X there was no northbound integration, except for email notifications.

In WCS ver 5.0 they have included a Notification Receiver field. The Notification Type automatically defaults to SNMP. Currently only guest user related notifications (such as creation, deletion, log in, and log off) can be sent to a NMS or northbound receiver.)

I'm sure more development is under way.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pvanvuuren
Level 3
Level 3

In WCS version 4.X there was no northbound integration, except for email notifications.

In WCS ver 5.0 they have included a Notification Receiver field. The Notification Type automatically defaults to SNMP. Currently only guest user related notifications (such as creation, deletion, log in, and log off) can be sent to a NMS or northbound receiver.)

I'm sure more development is under way.

Many thx indeed, I am a bit stunned by that I must say. The reason being and pls correct me if I am wrong, the WCS has much more intelligence that a WLC in terms if IDS, and other security features, so the passing off of this intelligence is critical for management of the RF domain?

Would you agree?

Many thx,

Ken

Yes, i agree that the WCS provides a great insight into wireless security. I'm guessing too that due to the WCS Navigator, Cisco isn't spending a lot of development on northbound trap forwarding. Wifi infrastrusture covers more individual lines of technolgy than IPT for instance, such a LAN , RF and security. The challange to asign WCS alarms to the right technical personel efficiently anf thus avoiding a Call Ticket to jump between resources. Authentication problems - security engineer. AP unreachable as reported by the WLC - a network engineer.

I'm also "stunned" by this situation! I must forward traps from 4 WLC, through a WCS and on up to a Northbound NMC. The NOC is not going to want to go look at WCS in order to see the status of the network.

Monitoring the WLCs themselves will be pretty intensive when it comes to aggregating information- especially when the Cisco mesh APs jump around between controllers.

I wonder if anything further has developed.

Ralph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: