cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS heatmaps/planning in multi-floor building

bdial
Level 1
Level 1

we have a 5 story building where every floor's layout is pretty much the same.  i have deployed APs already to every floor and have wireless working, but i'm usign a demo of wcs now to try to figure out how to increase my quality as i have some spotty coverage.

i deployed the 1 AP on alternativing ends of the floor (the floors are basically rectangular) because it seemed to make sense that a person on the 3rd floor standing directly under where an AP is on the 4th floor would get a pretty good signal from that. 

WCS planning mode gives me a similar 3-AP layout for every floor.  And while wtih the amount of channels, especially in 5ghz it may be ok to do this and not have too much interference, it seems kinda inefficient.  does wcs have the capability to plan a multi floor environment?  i noticed that when i'm viewing the 3rd floor, it does not seem to take the 4th floor's AP into account when showing a heatmap.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're correct. No multi-floor considereations at all in WCS.

Your idea of alterning the AP position on each floor is usually the best way to go.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You're correct. No multi-floor considereations at all in WCS.

Your idea of alterning the AP position on each floor is usually the best way to go.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card