WCS - Licensing

dumlutimuralp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We got a customer who has been using the following :

- WCS-STANDARD-K9   WCS Top Level   SKU for AP capacity options. - QTY : 1

- WCS-APBASE-50   WCS-Standard-K9   50 APs. License Only. - QTY : 1

Now the customer is going to install a new WCS  server and they recently purchased :

- WCS-STANDARD-K9   WCS Top Level   SKU for AP capacity options. QTY : 1

- WCS-APBASE-100   Option Of   WCS-Standard-K9 100 APs. One License.  - QTY : 3

My question is, is it possible to remove the existing 50 AP license from the existing server and shut it down, and move on with the new (recently purchased) server with a total of 350 AP capacity ?  Cause the customer would like to move on with a single server deployment.

Licensing guide seems to be confusing.

Any replies will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dumlu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can stack up all the 100 APs license.

To also stack the 50AP license you would need to ask the licensing team to change the hostname to match the new server.

That's pretty much it.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Dylan Hyndman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The licenses are locked in to the host name of the WCS, I would recommend that you contact licensing@cisco.com regarding this, they are usually very quick and helpfull with this kind of query. It will probably be a case of sending off the old license file with as much detail as possible, and getting a new one re-issued to the new host name.

Best wishes

Dylan

Thanks for replying,

According to the order codes I mentioned above, am I going to be able to add the additional 100 AP licenses (quantity of 3) on top of this 50 AP license ?

Cheers.

You can stack up all the 100 APs license.

To also stack the 50AP license you would need to ask the licensing team to change the hostname to match the new server.

That's pretty much it.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

One option is to simply name the new server the same as the old server.  Then upload the license file, this assumes that you still have the original license file.

Then purchase additional licenses and just upload those.  As they said you can stack them.

Seth

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't forget that if you are using CleanAir you'll need the WCS Plus license.

I found a way where you can get a FREE upgrade to WCS Plus.  If you plan to get 3500 and order the ECO-PACK (a box of 10 APs).  You'll receive a "bonus" license of WCS Plus license for 100 APs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card