cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What happens when splitting HA Pair WLC 5508

cbcalhoun
Level 1
Level 1

Need to split a 5508 HA pair to change the management IP address and vlan where they reside.

What happens to the management IP on the secondary as it is typically shared with the primary when the HA pair is split? Does the unit resume on the IP which it used before they were paired?

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Both Primary & Secondary will have same IPs once you disable SSO. To prevent any conflict, all ports of secondary will get disabled as part of the process. Refer below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-105071

Disabling SSO on HA Pair

1. On primary controller, disable SSO using the command:

Config redundancy mode disable

The Active and Standby WLCs reboot once this command is executed.

The standby controller, when it comes back after the reboot, has the same IP address on interfaces as the primary controller and all the ports disabled.

2. On the standby controller, re-enter the correct IP addresses corresponding to the management and dynamic interfaces and execute the following command:

Config port adminmode all enable

3. Save the configuration on the controller.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello @cbcalhoun

Should be.Before you pair it, both WLC had its own Management IP address. But, you can also rely on the Service Port to perform maintenance. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I should have been a little more clear on my concern. On the current management vlan the secondary WLS's original IP is now in use by a different device. I should probably disconnect the lag interfaces and do the management (changes) over the service port to be sure we don't duplicate that address when we split the pair? Will the secondary reassume the original IP before pairing on management?

Original IP of Primary ex: 10.1.1.10

Original IP of Secondary ex: 10.1.1.11

10.1.1.11 is inuse.

Both Primary & Secondary will have same IPs once you disable SSO. To prevent any conflict, all ports of secondary will get disabled as part of the process. Refer below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html#pgfId-105071

Disabling SSO on HA Pair

1. On primary controller, disable SSO using the command:

Config redundancy mode disable

The Active and Standby WLCs reboot once this command is executed.

The standby controller, when it comes back after the reboot, has the same IP address on interfaces as the primary controller and all the ports disabled.

2. On the standby controller, re-enter the correct IP addresses corresponding to the management and dynamic interfaces and execute the following command:

Config port adminmode all enable

3. Save the configuration on the controller.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks so much. I had overlooked that.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card