cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the advantage of configuring Link Aggregation or LAG?

Hello,

When is it recommended to configure LAG or Link aggregation on the WLC? and what does this exacty do? does it increase the speed or traffic between the AP's to WLC to the Switch?. 

Will LAG improve speed performance for the AP users?

How does LAG can improvie the user experience when the AP's have a 1GB uplink port?

I am trying to understand how does LAG exactly works? is the below statement correct?

Let's say i have 8 AP's 3802i's and I have a WLC that is connected to a switch using only a 1GB uplink, does this mean that all traffic from the AP's are passing or accessing the network via the 1GB uplink from the WLC to the switch? So if this is correct then with LAG i could bundle few ports on the WLC to upgrade or increase the speed between the WLC and the switch? which in turn will help the speed and performance of the AP users? Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Link aggregation, also called trunking, is an optional feature available on the Ethernet gateway and is used with Layer 2 Bridging. Link aggregation allows multiple ports to merge logically in a single link. Because the full bandwidth of each physical link is available, bandwidth is not wasted by inefficient routing of traffic. As a result, the entire cluster is utilized more efficiently. Link aggregation offers higher aggregate bandwidth to traffic-heavy servers and reroute capability in case of a single port or cable failure.

Yes user have better experience, if the setup as below as (HLD)

Server ----(LAG)Core-Switch--(LAG)-WLC

|

(LAG)

AccessSwitch

|

WAP

|

USer

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Balaji,

Thanks again for the explanation and most importantly for your time. Can you help clarify something?. does all AP traffic traverse the WLC before hitting the network? another words, all traffic in and out must go or must traverse the WLC first? Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card