cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

when CDP gets AP.. ?

Prasan Venky
Level 3
Level 3

As per my understanding, When i am connecting my AP to the POE switch, switch provides appropriate power to the ap through CDP negotiations.

Here is my doubt. Once the AP gets power, does the switch displays the AP in its CDP neighbour details..? Or it has to fully join the WLC then the switch will get the CDP of AP.. ?

Thanks in advance ..

KVS   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Usually you have to wait until the AP boots up and then when the AP negotiates the power and tries to obtain a dhcp, you should see cdp information as long as cdp is enabled on the port and on the AP if previously was joined to a WLC.  Cable issues can prevent CDP information from showing up, but would also cause issues with the AP getting an ip address, power/speed/duplex negotiation or just joining the WLC.   I have ran into issue with a bad pair which caused me issues, but usually you will see IEEE when looking at the power inline.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

Yes, switch should show AP as CDP neighbor without WLC involvement. Communication is between AP & switch only & no need to have a WLC at all for this.

HTH

Rasika

Here once i faced issue when the ap connected to the interface, i could see the interface was up, but CDP was not learned on the switch. Ap also not completely joined to the WLC due to dhcp issue

Usually you have to wait until the AP boots up and then when the AP negotiates the power and tries to obtain a dhcp, you should see cdp information as long as cdp is enabled on the port and on the AP if previously was joined to a WLC.  Cable issues can prevent CDP information from showing up, but would also cause issues with the AP getting an ip address, power/speed/duplex negotiation or just joining the WLC.   I have ran into issue with a bad pair which caused me issues, but usually you will see IEEE when looking at the power inline.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card