cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why LAP getting 0.0.0.0 IP address while downloading primary SW

Erfan7
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question, whenever I connect any out of box access point, I configure that statically after joining the WLC8510, AP does not show primed IP address instead shows 0.0.0.0 after downloading Primary SW it reboots and then I would be able to see its configured IP address, my question is what is this IP address 0.0.0.0 where it gets that and why controller assign this to AP in first join.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...I configure that statically after joining the WLC8510

- For starters use DHCP at all times for AP  IP-address provisioning.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Dear Marce Its Big enterprise and here we use static IP's, So my question is why 0.0.0.0 is assigned where it gets from?

- If you are a Big Enterprise then you should even more use DHCP for allocating addresses (for access points or other devices (too)) , it gives much more flexible network management. Static addressing solutions do not scale as equipment keeps growing it becomes a pain to manage. USE DHCP.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Erfan7
Level 1
Level 1

Mr Marce Thanks for reply and understand what you are saying, but that is different story I cant write here but my question was about 0.0.0.0 IP, Please if you can.

Thank You

- Can the access point join the controller in the end ?.

M.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Erfan7 wrote:

AP does not show primed IP address instead shows 0.0.0.0 after downloading Primary SW it reboots and then I would be able to see its configured IP address

That is because the AP is still downloading the firmware from the WLC.  
After the AP boots the correct firmware, the details will be more complete.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Exactly as @Leo Laohoo says that is NOT the AP IP address displayed on the WLC while it downloads.

The WLC only displays full AP details and allows the AP to be configured after it has completed the download, rebooted and registered to the WLC.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card