Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi 802.1x and dhcp issues

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

Wifi 802.1x and dhcp issues

I am running an NPS on Windows server 2016 and can authenticate wireless clients without issue.  The problem comes with connecting on an interface that isn’t on the dhcp vlan.  Cisco VWLC, normal data vlan is 10, with 10.x.x.x addressing, contains DHCP and the NPS server, but separate.  Wireless vlan I am trying to get working with 802.1x is 192.168.x.x.  The interface works fine without 802.1x, and wireless clients get dhcp addresses in the appropriate vlan, there is an ip helper on my switch, but the controller specifies the dhcp address as well.  If I change the interface associated with the WLAN I setup to the 10.x.x.x I get a dhcp address and everything is all good.  But using the 192.168.x.x interface I do not get an address from dhcp and if I statically assign an address it still will not talk on the network. 

At this point I am kind of banging my head here...

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

If anyone else runs into this issue I did end up solving it for my network.  I did not have the new interface on the switch connected to my vmware hosts which meant I assume, the VWLC didn't see it.  Why this worked with PSK I don't know.  But I created the interface, verified it showed up on my virtual nic in vmware and dhcp started working on the wlan.  This network already existed on my core switches and was routable in my infrastructure.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What mode of Wireless deployment ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I'm not quite sure what you mean by mode.  Band? Both 2.4 and 5.

I mean to ask is this deployment - Flex Mode or Local Mode

Can you post the config of the switch and other information requested other post we can come to know what is the issue to suggest best.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Balaji meant whether the AP's are in Flex mode or Local mode? Also share WLC Model and code as well.

I would start by checking the trunk interfaces to check whether the VLAN's are allowed.

Please share how the switchport port connected to the AP and WLC's configured, Also share a snippet from the interface you configured for new wireless network.

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

The APs are in flex connect and they are on trunk ports with the vlans allowed.  This interface works fine when used with a WLAN using wpa2 and psk. 

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Assuming your NPS servers are perfect config wise, what is NPS configured to send in with Access-Accept? 

Alternatively you can refer the below;

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/115988-nps-wlc-config-000.html

Thanks for the document, all in one place instead of all over internet.  Wish I would have had that to set it up originally.  But, I am still having the same issues.  Like I said, the clients connect to the wireless profile just fine, it is only when I change the interface associated with the WLAN to a different interface that is on a different vlan than dhcp does it have issues.  

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

If anyone else runs into this issue I did end up solving it for my network.  I did not have the new interface on the switch connected to my vmware hosts which meant I assume, the VWLC didn't see it.  Why this worked with PSK I don't know.  But I created the interface, verified it showed up on my virtual nic in vmware and dhcp started working on the wlan.  This network already existed on my core switches and was routable in my infrastructure.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card