Helpful
Replies

Wifi AP 150ax issue

Bapan Mondal
Level 1
Level 1

Sir,

We are procuring few AP we configure as mesh. but we are facing several issues

Currently experiencing sticky client issues. Occasional Wi-Fi connection drops when switching between APs. Some devices switch between 5GHz and 2.4GHz frequencies unexpectedly. Laptop’s Wi-Fi Flaps and showing very low signal as compared to mobile devices. It don't switch between AP even if stand beneath the AP. Objective: Establish flawless connectivity for all users and enable dashboard access on mobile devices.

3 Replies 3

Hi @Bapan Mondal 

Unfortunately the problem you described is the daily basis problem any wireless admin face. 

Stick client is client problem. 

Due some stupid  decision from the adapter vendor , the algorism they use does not recognize the message send by the Access Points . They ignore every information sent on the beacons and use only and information RSSI. RSSI is not the best parameter because the RSSI may be high but the noisy can be also high which result in poor SNR, which is what really matters. All that matter for a client adapter is save battery and scan the wifi spectrum searching for better signal cost too much battery and they prefer stick where they are until they drop off.

Occasional Wi-Fi connection drops when switching between APs

This can be a coverage problem but can also fall the the client stick problem. They try to stick with the first AP as much as they can until the drop off. They  prefer lose the connection than roam. After they lose connection then they roam. 

Some devices switch between 5GHz and 2.4GHz frequencies unexpectedly

If you can, disable 2.4Ghz. I take it as good practice although I know not always is possible. For Wireless Lan controller you may benefit from the feature Band Select which allows you to "deny"  the client in 2.4ghz up to a certain threshold. 

It don't switch between AP even if stand beneath the AP

That's another client stick problem and can also be related to coverage. 

Laptop’s Wi-Fi Flaps and showing very low signal as compared to mobile devices.

Here I would recommend a site survey first and check the Laptop driver. Keep it always updated and prefer Intel if possible. 

Objective: Establish flawless connectivity for all users and enable dashboard access on mobile devices.

Everyone's dream.  But, I've been saying, wifi is not used because it is better, it is used because it is cheaper. 

Client stick is not clients problem.. it is APs responsibility to let client know nearest APs. 

Moreover, openwrt has better implementation of seamless roaming compared to cisco 150ax ap. The same client which roams seamlessly on openwrt APs with wpa3 personal doesn't work on 150ax. I think in 2024 and for SMB or home use seamless roaming is necessity which cisco 150ax fails to provide.

My wild guess is 802.11k and 802.11v are not implemented on 150ax APs. Hence the issue of client sticking to particular AP.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Great answer there from @Flavio Miranda 
If you can't turn 2.4GHz off then it can help to ensure 2.4 power levels are lower than 5GHz so that they achieve similar size cells and 2.4 doesn't "look better" from client point of view.

I would just ask - was your wireless deployment planned based on a wireless site survey with post-deployment survey to confirm coverage?  If not then you are relying on luck not a properly defined design.  So if Flavio's tips don't help then you might need to go back to doing a proper design with site survey by a qualified wireless designer.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card