cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi Channels

IrfanKhan4904
Level 1
Level 1

Can we use 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 channels for Wi-Fi access points?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Channels on 2.4 GHz = 20 to 22 MHz wide, but the channel centers are separated by 5 MHz. The entire spectrum is around 100 MHz
For a 2.4 GHz - non overlapping network. Use channel 1, 6 and 11

For the 5 GHz spectrum, you can use all the channels, because the channel width and separation match.

View solution in original post

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You've got the technical details on the previous replies.  Just to summarise:
> Can we use 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 channels for Wi-Fi access points?
You can but you should not because channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Also depends on the regulatory domain : https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi @IrfanKhan4904 

Theorically you can use any channel you want. As per the channels you mentioned above, you are probably refering to 2.4 Gz spectrum which is used mostly for Wi-Fi. 

I am assumiing that your questions come from the fact that using different channels for your access point, you could avoid interference as each AP would be using a different channel. This seems to be a good idea but unfortunatelly it is not.  For 2.4Ghz spectrum, the channels 1,6 and 11 are the channels you can safelly use and thus minimize intererence. If you use channel in between you will fall in another situation called adjacent channel interface which cause as much problem as co-channel interference. Being co-channel interference the interference cause by two access point using the same channel on the same place. 

The best advise is avoid 2.4Ghz as much as possible and try to use 5.0 Ghz instead.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@IrfanKhan4904 wrote:
Can we use 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 channels for Wi-Fi access points?

Of course anyone can use those channels.  Any APs will support them. 

Will this make WiFi better?  Most definitely NOT.  

Channels on 2.4 GHz = 20 to 22 MHz wide, but the channel centers are separated by 5 MHz. The entire spectrum is around 100 MHz
For a 2.4 GHz - non overlapping network. Use channel 1, 6 and 11

For the 5 GHz spectrum, you can use all the channels, because the channel width and separation match.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You've got the technical details on the previous replies.  Just to summarise:
> Can we use 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10 channels for Wi-Fi access points?
You can but you should not because channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels in the 2.4GHz band.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card