Wireless ACS not failin gover

Steve Coady
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have the following ACS's. They are VM

Cisco Secure ACS

Version : 5.2.0.26

I have been having trouble with the Primary hanging up, but the secondary does not take over.

I have spoken with TAC and they advised me to upgrade the software to stop the hangup, but I am not sure why it does not failover.

What can I check to make sure the triggers are in place and working properly?

sMc
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If your ACS is a primary secondary and the primary gets hung up but the secondary still doesn't take over the primary role, then you might have an issue with the primary and you should maybe promote the secondary as the primary and fix the issue with the primary.  This is what you have to troubleshoot. because the WLC will still send request to the primary if that is how it is defined in your wlan, until the primary doesn't respond and is marked dead.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Well, You need to make sure that the primary server is really down. Then the AAA clients need to failover.

When the server is shown to be down is it pingable form the AAA devices?

If the primary is really down and that is detected by the AAA clients, the AAA clients will then automatically failover to the next configured AAA server (if it is correctly configured).

What you'r AAA clinets? I think debugs/logs form the AAA clients are needed to make sure that they detect the primary server as down and to see if they failover or not.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Steve.

What do you exactly mean by the secondary is not taking over?

Do you mean that:

1-) You are not able to login to the GUI of the secondary for configuration.

or

2-) Your AAA clients do not fall over to use the secondary server if the primary server is down.

?

Regards,

Amjad

Amjad

My AAA clients do not fall over to use the secondary server when the primary server is hungup.

sMc

Steve:

well, then you may need to check and make sure your AAA clients are having both ACS servers added as RADIUS servers. The fallback (for AAA authentication when one server is down) happens on the AAA client side, not the server side.

Have you added both servers to the AAA clients?

If no then please make sure both server ip addresses are added. Then, when one server is down and the AAA client experience a timeout for a request to one server it will fallover to the next configured server.

HTH

Amjad

Amjad

Where, exactly would the servers be added, (ACS?, WLC?, WLS?)

These devices were setup by contractor. I am 99.9 % sure the servers are defined, I justr am not sure where to look for them.

sMc

Ok

The AAA servers are configured on each Controller. My controllers have both servers defined with Server1-Primary

Server 2-Secondary. Based on what I see, failover should occur. What else should I check?

sMc

Failover will only occur if the primary doesn't respond. If the primary responds even though its hosed up, the wlc will not failover.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Well, You need to make sure that the primary server is really down. Then the AAA clients need to failover.

When the server is shown to be down is it pingable form the AAA devices?

If the primary is really down and that is detected by the AAA clients, the AAA clients will then automatically failover to the next configured AAA server (if it is correctly configured).

What you'r AAA clinets? I think debugs/logs form the AAA clients are needed to make sure that they detect the primary server as down and to see if they failover or not.

HTH

Amjad

Amjad

The issue has been the "hangup" does not cause the server to be completely down.

The fix we are applying this weekend is to first add the 5.2 patch and then upgrade s/w to 5.3. We are only going to apply

to one of the servers, then run on that server for a week or so to make sure there are no other issues that develop. Hopefully

all will go well, we can upgrade the 2nd server, restart replication and move on to other fires.

Thanks for the input.

sMc

If your ACS is a primary secondary and the primary gets hung up but the secondary still doesn't take over the primary role, then you might have an issue with the primary and you should maybe promote the secondary as the primary and fix the issue with the primary.  This is what you have to troubleshoot. because the WLC will still send request to the primary if that is how it is defined in your wlan, until the primary doesn't respond and is marked dead.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card