Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless clients load balancing on the APs on WLC 4404

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Experts,

I'm just wondering if the WLC 4404 with firmware 4.2.207.0 can load balance the wireless clients on different WAPs. Let's say that an AP is already handling 15 Wireless devices. When the 16th is trying to join, the controller somehow puts it on another nearby AP, even the signal from this AP is weaker. I heard the similar feature on other Wireless solution vendors. I'm just wondering if Cisco has the similar feature or not.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dmantill
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it is known as aggressive load balancing sending a code 17 making the wireless client to loook at another nearby AP.

here it is the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00809c2fc3.shtml

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

dmantill
Level 4
Level 4

Yes it is known as aggressive load balancing sending a code 17 making the wireless client to loook at another nearby AP.

here it is the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a00809c2fc3.shtml

justin_barnes
Level 1
Level 1

in short, you basically create a secondary management interface.

Justin,

That is just in case that you want to load balance the APs joining per Port.

However if you want to use WIRELESS clients load balancing, you need to use the aggressive load balancing option.

Thank you all for the helpful replies! I foudn the settings. I have enabled it. I will bother you guys if it breaks anything

You are welcome, please rate the post and mark it as solved.

Remember that some wireless adapter doesnt know how to manage the code 17. Therefore those wireless card could have unexpected behavior... Like ignoring it.. and therefore you might heard about devices not able to associate at all, or maybe because there is no nearby AP.

I rated it (your first reply) already... I also marked it as the "correct answer". Do I need to do more?

I think no news is good news. I haven't heard complains yet lol

Thanks,

oh, thats OK.

Have a good one!

Something to note. Code 17 is often not honored by the client and the client will still attempt to gain access to the access point. The access point normally allows the device on regardless. Also, if you are running VOICE over you WLAN you dont want aggressive load balance enabled...

(FYI)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin