Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless controller 3504 AP licensing

CSCO11058275
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying figuring this out but unfortunately I couldn't find any licensing document that have the right information, or at least I couldn't find one. I would like to understand the access point licensing on the 3504 controller.

For the 3504 controller in the data sheet document I found the following item LIC-CT3504-1A with the description "Cisco 3504 Wireless Controller 1 access point adder license". I don't understand what an "access point adder" means, does this mean the this is a license for 1 AP and I need this 10 of this if I need to control 10 APs? I tried on CCW and that wasn't more helpful either. When I searched for that item I got the message "Product LIC-CT3504-1A cannot be directly added because it is only available as an option for other items.(CS005)". I checked of course if that is a subitem of the 3504 controller (AIR-CT3504-K9) and it isn't so I don't know really what that is and how to order it. 

Thank you,

AM

2 Replies 2

You can have base and adder license. Adder means additional licenses, so yes,  LIC-CT3504-1A means 1 AP and yes, if you need 10 AP you need 10 licenses. Not necessary it needs to be 10  LIC-CT3504-1A, depends on the WLC this can be  LIC-XXXX-XA. For example, 5508 allows for 25, 50, 100, and 250 adder licenses 

Call a re-seller and ask for some guidance. 

I'm faced with a similar issue, and it appears the 3504 needs a license for each AP. Re-sellers I spoke to offer no option of bundle/bulk pricing. This makes the 3504 quite pricey, even though it seems the right option for my deployment. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card