Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Data Rates

cleetusant
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

As CAPWAP AP, the AP1701 gives maximum of 400 Mbps data rates to the clients. But when we set the AP1701 as Autonomous, it gives maximum of 144 Mbps only. 

How can I get 400 Mbps in Autonomous mode ?

Thanks

Cleetus

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What methodology was used to test the speed?
1. 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz?
2. What is wireless client's wireless NIC model?
3. What data rates are enabled?
4. WMM enabled or not?

View solution in original post

If you (and your neighbours) have only small number of 5 GHz access points, close to each other then you are fine wih 80 MHz channel width.
Depending on your county there are approximately 20 non-overlapping 5 GHz channels each is 20 MHz wide. So when you use 80 MHz channels you use 4 channels at the same time.

Best practice is to have 20 MHz channel width in 2.4 GHz and 40 MHz in 5 GHz band.

Best Regards
Tony
||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||

Best practice is to have 20 MHz channel width in 2.4 GHz and 40 MHz in 5 GHz band.

Please do a full spectrum analysis and complete review of the requirements before going into 40 MHz on 5GHz. This is not best practice to do in every situation! It depends. (VoWiFi/LBS/etc)

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz?
3. What data rates are enabled?
4. WMM enabled or not?

1. 2.4 Ghz or 5.0 Ghz?

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz),VHT80 MU-MIMO,1024QAM 

4. WMM enabled or not?  
NO

I set the channel width as 80 MHz and now I am getting 866 Mbps.

Thank you
Cleetus

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Theoretical throughput depends on the radio band, rf utilization and channel width. Like what Leo stated, you need to understand the capabilities of what you can achieve with 2.4ghz and 5ghz and how channel width can increase your overall theoretical max throughput. Setting the ap to 20/40/80mhz channel width will also determine the theoretical max. Take a look at the configuration guide for autonomous to determine how to change the 5ghz to 40/80 and then make sure your client device is capable of 40 or 80mhz. As you can see, only on 5ghz will you see the higher rates, not on 2.4ghz.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scot for the response.

Following your guidelines.

Cleetus

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cleetusant,

I'm not experienced with APs in Autonomous mode, but technically you shall be able to achieve the same data rates in both CAPWAP or Autonomous mode.

The main variables which impact the data rate are: channel width (20/40/60/... MHz), number of spatial streams (the C1701 has up to 2), Guard Interval and MCS (modulation and coding scheme). Here you have a nice overview whats possible: https://www.wlanpros.com/resources/mcs/

So your C1701 can do 400 Mbps with 40 MHz channel, two spatial streams, short guard interval and VHT MCS9 which is a 802.11ac data rate. 

The 144 Mbps you have in Autonomous mode are 20 MHz channel, two spatial streams, short guard interval and HT MCS15 which is a 802.11n data rate. 

So if you want to get 400 Mbps in Autonomous mode you need to set channel width to 40 MHz and enable 802.11ac data rates. 

The configuration might look like that:

interface Dot11Radio1
!
ssid 11ac
!
speed 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15. m16. m17. m18. m19. m20. m21. m22. m23. a1ss9 a2ss9 a3ss9
Channel width 40

Thank you for the response.

I set the settings as "Maximum Throughput" and for channel width I set 80
MHz. Now I am getting the data rate of 866 Mbps in Autonomous mode. Will it
impact anything bad if I increase this much level ?

If you (and your neighbours) have only small number of 5 GHz access points, close to each other then you are fine wih 80 MHz channel width.
Depending on your county there are approximately 20 non-overlapping 5 GHz channels each is 20 MHz wide. So when you use 80 MHz channels you use 4 channels at the same time.

Best Regards
Tony

Please do a full spectrum analysis and complete review of the requirements before going into 40 MHz on 5GHz. This is not best practice to do in every situation! It depends. (VoWiFi/LBS/etc)

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

This is for home, so it’s your experience to be honest. You can always find tools that can show the utilization on channels. Just fine some channels that are the lowest and go for it. I have a home setup which I do testing on and I have 9 AP’s live. 7 are on one system running 40mhz and the other two are another system running 80mhz. I’m always connected to the two AP’s running 80mhz because I’m doing testing. Utilization is low and nothing is being impacted. In production, I would only use 40mhz.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scot for the info.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card