Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless deployment

ElwinMkanyika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

My client would like to have a wireless deployment between several differented offices in the city. There is connectivity between the different sites...but my main issue is, is this option really feasible. I was thinking of a centralized WLC like the 2504 coz of price + 36 APs, 2 at each site. The main worry is the network setup considering the fact that the APs have to communicate with the WLC so unpredictable network issues i believe will have a very huge impact.

Please share your insights on this matter.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That setup will work, just take a look at FlexConnect.  This allows the AP to stay up and functioning if the link to the WLC fails.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080b3690b.shtml

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

It's really up to you... if your using FlexConnect, then most likely you will be doing local switching which means traffic will be placed locally at the site where the ap's are located.  So only traffic that you want centralized will be tunneled back to the WLC.  Guest traffic usually is tunneled back if your Internet is located where the WLC.  really depends on your design.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That setup will work, just take a look at FlexConnect.  This allows the AP to stay up and functioning if the link to the WLC fails.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080b3690b.shtml

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Stephen, Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, thats exactly what i need.

I see that the 2500 controller is listed, would you recommend it or chould i opt for a WLC that supports LAG?

It's really up to you... if your using FlexConnect, then most likely you will be doing local switching which means traffic will be placed locally at the site where the ap's are located.  So only traffic that you want centralized will be tunneled back to the WLC.  Guest traffic usually is tunneled back if your Internet is located where the WLC.  really depends on your design.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Agree with Steve and Scott.  FlexConnect (aka H-REAP) is the solution to your problem.

Play close attention to the requirement to H-REAP.

Yes, it's very true, if your WLC should fail, then your WAP can still operate normally.  You may want to ask "Why"?  And this is where the requirement steps in.  You need to have a dedicated authentication server AT THE SITE.

Another thing, should you loose your WAN or your WLC (or anything), DO NOT reboot the WAP and H-REAP will still work fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: