Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN controller 5508 Design Strategy

jahanzaib amin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Team,

I would like to discuss the design strategy for a WL controller 5508. The Controller is on the main site and working with 120 APs. There is another new branch Site with 15 APs (AIR-CAP26021-E-K9) and Banach Site is connected with the main site with 2 different Links (Radio Link and Private VPN with 40 MBPS.

On the branch there is main Core Switch is 4500 and plan is to create a DHCP pool on the Core for New 15APs.

I would like to know that is this necessary to be controller and APs in same IP Range or we can use the different IP Range as mention above?

Thanks,

JH

5 Replies 5

No, Controller & AP can be in two different subnet.

That is one of the best practice I follow. It will help to reduce unnecessary broadcast messages hitting WLC. In this method you have to use DHCP option 43 or DNS method to discover WLC to APs.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Dear,

Thanks, So it mean I can leave the controller on current subnet in Main Site and install the APs on branch Site. But what about the Address Pool ? Must use the DHCP for address Pool for branch APs or can create the Pool in Core Switch (4500) for APs ?

Kindly mention the simplest strategy .

JH

If branch is having a L3 switch, I would define AP DHCP pool over there.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

So here will be steps:

1: Define Local DHCP Pool in L3Switch for APs with Following Commands:

ip dhcp pool <pool name>
network <IP Network> <Netmask>
default-router <Default router>
dns-server <DNS Server>

But I have a question that were we configure the Option 43 or 60? and Network Pool will be same as main Site controller Subnet or it is a Subnet Pool for Branch Site?

Thanks,
JH

Dear Manannalage,

Further we need to configure Flex connect group for the Remote APs. This Flex-connect mode should be only for Remote APs? and we need to upgrade the APs to use it in flex-Connect mode?

Kindly describe in detail.

Thanks,

JH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card