Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless network in a building

medzeinmaaloum
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I need to know the materials needed to create a wireless network in a building, you will find some information:

- The building is 30 meters in length, 10 meters in width and it is 2 stories high.

- The connection to be shared is a 100MB Fiber Optic connection.

- All the wireless network must have the same name.

- There will be the possibility of creating a network visible only to a few.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

What?

9800-CL (for "private cloud") requires ONE (1) computer running the hypervisor of your choice.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-cl-wireless-controller-cloud/nb-06-cat9800-cl-cloud-wirel-data-sheet-ctp-en.html
9800-CL (for public cloud) is an Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) solution on the Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Microsoft Azure (Azure) Marketplaces

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
You almost need to either consult with your Cisco rep or VAR to work with you to determine what is recommended. It’s hard to say without having discussions with the customer and gathering more requirements.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am in Mauritania where there is no Cisco, no distributor or any trace here, I use Cisco just based on the Cisco Community and I have already done a lot of things in particular CME.
So the only way I find help is from Cisco Community.
If you can help me I am ready to answer all your questions.
It should be noted that the only voice for me is through Cisco Community.

thank you for understanding me

Get a wireless site survey/planner done right.  

Hi there,

Information about the building: see the attached photo (All three floors have the same design).

A 100MB fiber optic internet connection

The purpose of this network is to share the Internet connection to customers, each customer must have the possibility of connecting to the Internet.

There is a wired network in the building

Projet.jpg

Thanks for the "sketch" but it is of no use. 

One of the benefits of getting a wireless AP planning done professionally done are the tools and the experience that comes with it. 

The tool will take into consideration the size, shape each room, what each wall's structural composition is and make calculation as the "reach" of each AP in a certain location is going to look like.  

Currently, Ekahau AI Pro is the top-of-the-tree for wireless AP planning, wireless site survey but this is expensive. 

If you are still interested, have a look at Hamina. The people behind Hamina are the same people behind the original Ekahau AI Pro.  

Just want to emphasize that Ekahau AI Pro or Hamina still needs someone who knows how to "drive" and interpret the software.  There are many YT videos about how to use Ekahau AI Pro but it is beneficial to still get someone with experience.

Hello thank you for letting me know this professional way

But I ask you to help me make my network without going through a planner, because I don't have the necessary soft and know-how at the moment.

Let me please bypass the Planner to the Cisco Wireless equipment.

From my research I saw that there is a Wireless Controller named (Cisco-vWLC-AIR-CTVM-7-3-101-0.ova) which can manage access points for example (AIR-LAP1142N- A-K9).

Can I start with this equipment? if you see that it is better to choose 'other equipment, let me know please.

Thank you

@medzeinmaaloum wrote:
But I ask you to help me make my network without going through a planner, because I don't have the necessary soft and know-how at the moment.

If you want this done right, the answer is no.  If you don't have the know-how, then get someone who does.  

@medzeinmaaloum wrote:
From my research I saw that there is a Wireless Controller named (Cisco-vWLC-AIR-CTVM-7-3-101-0.ova) which can manage access points for example (AIR-LAP1142N- A-K9).

Dump that controller and get a WLC 2504 instead.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

vWLC and 1142 are old technology, 1142 is past end of support.

For a new deployment you should  be looking at 9800 series WLC and Catalyst 9xxx APs.

Good day,

I tried for the last three days to configure the two versions of vWLC (Cisco-vWLC-AIR-CTVM-7-3-101-0.ova) and (AIR-CTVM-K9-8-0-150-0 .ova), but I saw that these two vWLC failed to communicate with my 5 access point types (AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9), I want to create a new conversation regarding this problem.

I have a question about C9800-CL-universalk9.17.03.06.ova, is this controller compatible with AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9?

Thank you

@medzeinmaaloum wrote:
I have a question about C9800-CL-universalk9.17.03.06.ova, is this controller compatible with AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9?

Not compatible.  

FN - 63942 - Wireless Lightweight Access Points and WLAN Controllers Fail to Create CAPWAP Connections Due to Certificate Expiration

Rich R
VIP
VIP

As @Leo Laohoo already explained they will NOT join due to expired certificates.

You need to follow the instructions in the field notice Leo linked (and link in my signature below).  If you do not follow every step in the correct order then they will not join.  You must follow all steps in the correct order.

good day,

To finalize, I saw that Cisco nowadays offers the following equipment:- Hardware Wireless Lan Controller: Cisco suggests (Catalyst 9800 wireless LAN controllers), with access points type: (Cisco Catalyst 9100 Access Points).

- Virtual Wireless Lan Controller: Cisco suggests version (AireOS 8.10) or a more recent version, with access points of the type: (Cisco Catalyst 9100 Access Points).

Does this is correct?

merci

Rich R
VIP
VIP

9800 WLC - yes
Catalyst 9100 Access Points - yes
vWLC - NO!!! That is already end of sale https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/virtual-wireless-controller/eos-eol-notice-c51-744428.html

If you want a virtualised solution then the 9800-CL is the one to look at.

The 9800-CL for its configuration requires three computers:

- An ESXI on a server physical machine

- A V-Center on a server physical machine

- A vSphere Client on a PC physical machine

Or it can only be configured by two Computers:

- An ESXI on a server physical machine

- A vSphere Client on a PC physical machine

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card