Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Network

I am planning to setup a wireless network with multiple access points in a lab for testing. I would like to use Cisco Aironet Access Points and a Controller if need be. I am new to this kind of setup. Can someone please tell me what i would need for my Lab?

I would really appreciate any help?

Thanks,

Lake

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

A few comments..

If you want to do anchoring only 4400s and up can terminate tunnels. The smaller 2100s can start the tunnels, but cant terminate them. So to anchor, you need a 4400 and a 2100 minimally.

If you want to do wired GUEST then you need 2 4400s minimally.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

You will be fine if you get 2 4402s. I would also get the following to round out your lab:

1) ACS Server so you can do EAP, TACACS, RADIUS

2) The access points Leo pointed out are good. I would atleast get 1 802.11n access point and some cheap 1131s

3) Get 2 layer 3 switches like a 3550 so you can route your WLANs with POE to power your access points

4) Get a WiFi spectrum card .. a good cheap one from Wi Spy is ok

5) Maybe get a cisco 7921 phone so you can play with voice and test QoS

6) Small VM so you can load WCS. You can get demos from Cisco

7) Wireshark so you can sniff 802.11 frames

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The below link may help you!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080665cdf.shtml

Lemme know if this answered your question or if you need any more insight

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

I am sorry but i mean i need to know what Cisco hardware i need to purchase to setup my wireless Lab?

Thanks

Lake

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this a personally-funded lab or a corporate-funded lab? 

It is personally funded but i would like some decent hardware

Thanks,

Lake

It is personally funded but i would like some decent hardware

Right.  Here's the run-down ...

1.  Wireless A/B/G only:

• Cisco WLC 2000 or 2100;
  • Access Points:  1230 or 1240, 1130

2.  Wireless A/B/G/N:

• Cisco WLC2100 or 4402 (don't bother with the 5508 because it will be expensive and nothing to gain);
  • AP:  1250, 1040, 1140 (don't bother with the 1260 or 3500)

You'll need switches.  SO if you can get PoE switches, so much the better.  If you don't you'll need PWR-INJ2 or PWR-INJ3.

I assume i can either go with option 1 or option 2?

I assume i will need one controller but how many access points would i need?

Thanks,

Lake

I concur with Leo... I have a very similar lab...

http://www.my80211.com/my-lab/

It seems like to you have 2 controllers but should buy 2 or 1 will suffice?

Thanks,

Lake

Actually now i have 3 controller 2 4402-12 and 2006... whats is the purpose of your lab? what are you trying to do?

I would like to learn some wireless networking and eventually be Cisco Certified

Thanks,

Lake

A few comments..

If you want to do anchoring only 4400s and up can terminate tunnels. The smaller 2100s can start the tunnels, but cant terminate them. So to anchor, you need a 4400 and a 2100 minimally.

If you want to do wired GUEST then you need 2 4400s minimally.

You will be fine if you get 2 4402s. I would also get the following to round out your lab:

1) ACS Server so you can do EAP, TACACS, RADIUS

2) The access points Leo pointed out are good. I would atleast get 1 802.11n access point and some cheap 1131s

3) Get 2 layer 3 switches like a 3550 so you can route your WLANs with POE to power your access points

4) Get a WiFi spectrum card .. a good cheap one from Wi Spy is ok

5) Maybe get a cisco 7921 phone so you can play with voice and test QoS

6) Small VM so you can load WCS. You can get demos from Cisco

7) Wireshark so you can sniff 802.11 frames

Thank you very much

No worries .. if you want access to my lab if you need something to pound on let me know ... ill set you up an account ...