cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Signal Range Problem

it
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All, We are using Cisco wireless controller 5508 with Cisco Aironet Access Point 1131G –E-K9
The wireless coverage in rooms is very weak . We have 10 rooms in each floor and 2 access points in each floor. If anyone help me to increase the singe strength

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your TX power lever for both bands are at power level 1, then you are at your max.  The issue can be that your AP's are in the hallway and in line of sight and might be reducing the power down.  Or that the walls are attenuating the signal and thus you will need more access points.  So take a look at your 802.11a and 802.11b and see what power levels you have.

You can also issue from the cli

show advanced 802.11a txpower

show advanced 802.11b txpower

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your prompt replay, I install access point in my room then check the single it showing only 4 point. I have an another DSL modem with router its signal is excellent.

Is there any configuration problem in WLC and AP

I wouldn't compare the two. You need to look at what your AP's TX power is at. There is a fine line between signal and your actual throughout. If your at max tx power then there is mothering else you can do. If you need better signal, you add access points.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Please recommend a powerful access point also an external antenna compatible with WLC 5508

Just to add to Scott's post, I would like to say "Nice hotel". And this is it. The walls in the hotel are made out of concrete blocks, I guess? In some cases the walls are thick enough to affect the propagation of wireless signals per floor. I would also agree with Scott's recommendation that if you want to have guest enjoy your wireless facility, then you need to move the AP away from the hall and into the rooms. Depending on how your management sees the importance of guest wireless, I would recommend you stick an AP per two adjoining rooms. Should you find the need to do wireless voice, the APs in each room should be strong enough to cover the hall. You may also have to look into getting a WLC. I stayed in the Pullman in Dubai back in 2013 and they had three APs along the hall per floor. Since the bathrooms are always closest to the hall, wireless signal weakens by the time the signal reaches the user sitting on the study table or on the bed, for example.

Dear Leo

Thank you for your replay

I am sorry to say it’s not possible to keep an access point in each room, we can only install hallways

Please recommend a powerful access point also an external antenna compatible with WLC 5508

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card